Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Late to the Party

Posted by michaelalreadytaken No Cal (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 07 at 16:06

It seems that I'm always way ahead or way behind some curve or another.

In that vein, I'm finally getting around to reading: The Lovely Bones which has been out for about five years now.

Wow!

(Warning: Be advised that the first few pages of this book are absolute trauma on paper. Seriously!!! It's done as tastefully and non-gratuitously as possible but the subject matter is--rough, very rough.) It falls into the category of 'read one paragraph and then put it down for thirty minutes' and calm down enough to read the next one.

Anyway, I'm not done with it yet but if you've missed this one--as I have--and long for good writing--and can stand it--this is an absolute masterpiece.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Late to the Party

I still haven't read it. But then, it took me 10 years to finally read "Into Thin Air". I figure I've got another 5 years until I'm ready for this one.

o

The Island shook me up for years.Did a lot of camping so the idea of dozing off and having a wild man attack me was a little frightening.lol

o

I read "The Lovely Bones" a few years ago. I'm afraid it didn't enthrall me as much as it did some people. The ending dismayed me as much as the ending of "Titanic" did. I'll elaborate once you finish it, if you want.

o

I'm not finished yet. I hope it isn't a false ending.

Sebold's ability to crystallize emotions within a moment--briefly, succinctly, perfectly, and believably--without adornment--has me enthralled.

She knows her stuff!!!

MichaelAT

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here