Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CT Scan question

Posted by peachiekean z9 CA So. Cal. (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 07 at 19:04

My DH is having a CT Scan tomorrow and is afraid they will put his head in a cage like they did for an MRI he had (for another reason). I tell him he does not go inside a tube but he insists he will have anxiety and they will have to sedate him. I recall a CT Scan I had a long time ago and they only steady the head, right? And it stays outside the machine, right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CT Scan question

I don't think your whole body would go in for the head scan.

Carla

o

His head will go into the circular scanner. His body will not.. head CT's usually are the quickest areas to scan and normally do not take that long.... I am thinking 5-10 minutes. That has been my experience= HTH.
jenn

o

I have had several :) I always think they look like giant doughnuts. There is a hole that you go through, but the whole thing is fairly thin.

Here's a diagram of one.

Even my whole body scans are pretty quick. Tell him it will be okay :)

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: diagram of CT

o

A very quick scan NOT inside a tube like MRI. Most people have no trouble with CT and a head CT is about the fastest scan they do.

HTH

o

5 to 10 minutes with only the head within the doughnut. There should be little if any anxiety or feeling of claustrophobia. Sedatives can be made available unless they're contraindicated for other reasons.

MRI's can run to an hour in an extremely noisy and confined environment--very claustrophobic--thus the proliferation of "Open Air MRI."

Hope this helps and hope all goes well.

MichaelAT

o

Thanks. Yes it took a long time waiting, but the scan actually took less than 5 minutes. And he was calm after taking his sedative.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 18, 07 at 13:11

I hope your DH is doing ok! I'll keep you in my thoughts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here