Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So very much water.....

Posted by anntn6b z6b TN (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 08 at 20:59

The quantity of water flowing down the Mississippi and its subsidiary rivers is per second in the attached map.
And it will go out to the Gulf and there's no way to save it for summer when we need it.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Mighty Mississipp

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So very much water.....

Ann, have you ever been to the Old River or Morganza control structures when they're open?

It's a paralyzing sight and I don't use the word loosely.

The immense amount of water, the forsaken setting in the middle of nowhere, the turbulence of that dirty water.

I'm sure I stayed hundreds of feet from the edge. At least the memory seems that way or as if it should have been that way.

MichaelAT

o
RE: So very much water.....

I've seen aerial photos and when I saw the size of vehicles that were dwarfed by the water.....and then reading about how they almost lost the Old River structure (and knowing how unconsolidated the sediments are downriver from the structure) you could not pay me to get within five miles of that structure.

Did you ever visit the huge lock structure upriver from New Orleans? I cannot remember the name of the town now, but IIRC it was on the south side of the river and was to lower barges about thirty feet. It was a huge pour of cement.

All this messing with soft sediments, with sediments that are actively degassing as the organics in them decay....
I've seen at Atachafalaya (doubtless spelled wrong) in flood and I don't know why the river didn't switch channels in the 1600's. Or 1700's. Or 1800's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here