Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I move a planter that has a birds nest in it???

Posted by carrie_az 9/10 AZ (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 21:36

There is nothng better then to have birds in one's garden, I love it, because I am a totally organic gardner. My problem is I have a planter by my front door that has pansies in it. I noticed one day while watering a bird was trying to build a nest in this planter, that is hanging on the wall by my front door. I pulled it out (it was empty, the bird was in the process of building it) I thought if I pulled out the nest in process the bird would go somewhere else and do her nest. Let me explain why I pulled it out, while she was in the process of building the nest I attempted to pull it out because I knew being by the front door and in the planter I could not water the plants in the planter and the pansies would die which would make the nest in the wide open. Well that is what exactly what happen, I stopped watering the planter because I did not want to get the nest wet, well the plant's went down and the nest is in the wide open, the pansies were hiding the nest before they died. Now when we go out the door and/or anyone comes to the door the bird takes off. The planter is at shoulder level and I am 5'7 a cat cannot get it but any other predator can (birds etc...). The nest is right out in the open, I feel sorry for her. So I thought I could move the planter higher up, I will not be touching the nest just moving the planter that the nest is in. If I was able to move it up higher, the nest will not be disturbed and will be in a more private place and not in the wide open. The planter will be up higher. My question is, If I move the planter up approximatly 15 inches up will she still go to the nest? Will she abandon it? I am not going to touch the nest, I just want to move the planter that the nest is in up higher, so that the nest is not right there at face level. If I move it up she will have more privacy and will be somewhat hidden. Can I move the whole planter up or will it cause her to leave her babies?
Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post, I hope someone here can help me with this.
Groroses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I move a planter that has a birds nest in it???

I think it would be fine as long as you keep it in the same spot.

o

Thanks sylvia for answering my query. I have moved the planter up about 10 inches. I forgot to explain that the bird is the common sparrow and the eggs have not hatched yet. So I thought I would add that info. Thanks again.
Carrie

o

I have the same situation. I have a planter hanging from my porch. The nest is not in the open because when the plant died, I just left in there. I know some birds nests you can move, but what about a doves nest? It still has 2 babies in it and the mother is always close by or sitting in it.

They have gotten so use to us that I can work in the flowerbeds, open and close the front door hundreds of times, my husband can cut the grass, and we can even stand on a chair and look at them and they won't budge. BUT, let one of my neighbors walk by walking their dog and she goes crazy. Oh yeah, she dosen't like it when my husband starts his harley... lol

If I wait until the babies fly away, can I relocate the planter to another location on my porch for her to use the next time? I'd even leave the dead plant in it for protection.

o

I'd leave it til the babies fly, & then put it wherever I felt like the birds would be safer next time...
but sometimes momma bird just wants a new house next year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here