Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New beds!!

Posted by pagan 8b (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 07 at 8:43

Yippee for me!! DH and step-daddy removed the privet hedge yesterday and I get to plan new beds - with new roses!! How fun is this going to be?? Half of me felt bad that I couldn't help, but the other half of me felt all proud cus I *DID* contribute the idea in the first place... heeheeeheee!!!

New rose real estate - AND a trip to RU and Ashdown in just a few days!! It must be a sign from the Rose Gods!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New beds!!

Well that is good news! So what are you getting!

o

I can feel your excitement. It is good news to get a new bed!

Carla

o

Congratulations!! That IS good timing... you know those roses are going to be screaming to you at our SC nurseries. I can hear them already!

You have to tell me the secret to putting the guys to work, lol. Just teasing, but hedge removal is a special gift indeed!

o

Oh, do I envy you, Pagan. I'm out of space. Every once in a while, I fantacize razing my neighbor's house and garage and making his yard into my new gigantic rose bed. Course, I guess I'd have to buy his property also. Not up to another mortgage now that my house mortgage is all paid up--so I guess I'll have to live vicariously through your new rose bed. Keep us updated on it.

Kate

o
the plan thus far...

Thanks ya'll! I knew you guys would appreciate the thrill of it all!!

Meredith - the main thing I did was promise (and pay up!) pizza for lunch. far be it from MOI to play the "I could do it myself but it will kill what's left of my back and lay me up moaning and groaning for weeks" card!!

OK< so what I am thinking about is planning a formal-looking bed on that side. We are talking about a good 50 feet of property line, about 10 feet wide, between us and the grumpy old guy next door. It is a long rectangle, with GOG on one side (the back) and our driveway on our side (the front). I woulld like to put a hedge of something smallish and mannerly like boxwood along the property line - boxwood looks great and is a slow grower, but sort of expensive. Anybody have any ideas for a substitute?? It is meant as a background to make the roses stand out... Anyway, each corner would have a biggish shrub, currently considering white Charlestonian in one and white Ruben in the other. Then a pink , slightly smaller shrub, beside the white guy as you move along the short side of the rectangle, towards the driveway - thus far it is Chestnut and Homere... next to them, and the same on both ends, a Gruss An Achen, then Verdun and then Marie Pave... that fills the short ends, so on the long end I would work from the big white bushes towards the middle - beginning with - hmmm, maybe Louis Phillippe at one end and Cramoisi Superioir at the other end?? Or maybe not, since they are both settled in to what I thought would be their permanent homes and I hate to uproot them... so from the white roses I want to choose redder or hotter pink colors, then other colors, working in from both ends and going smaller and smaller until they meet in the middle of the long GOG side, with a birdbath in the center... I would fill in the space left in front of the roses with daylillies, rosemary, sages and other prennials, and monkey grass...

I am so open to suggestions! Naturally, Teas, Chinas and Noisettes, maybe the odd Bourbon thrown in - no-spray only cus it is too hot to spray!!

o

FIRST JUST LET ME SAY----I'M PROUD OF YOU FOR RESTRAINING YOURSELF AND PROTECTING YOUR BACK. I have to keep reminding myself not to abuse my back.---I'm sure you wanted to pick up that shovel and dig .
You will be happy in the long run.
Can't wait to see what you will be doing with this new space----
I just know it will be beautiful.

Congratulations.

Florence

o

It sounds so pretty! You might look up yews for the hedge... I have some of the more upright ones, and they are a gorgeous dark green with red berries at Christmas when the roses are sleeping here.

Oh I have some ganormous boxwoods I want to donate to somebody sometime... cut 'em way back and get a bunch of roots? Don't know how it would work, but they are very huge and robust and old and I can't bear to just kill them. But one only needs so many 80 year old boxwoods right by their foundation, lol ;]

Let me know if you want me to try to rip up some suckers and bring them to RU... [or not, I'm crazy gardening and will try lots of silly stuff once or twice, just to see...]

o

Wonderful news. I can't wait to see pictures!
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here