Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchids2000

Have you seen the latest Pet Food Recall list?

orchids2000
16 years ago

A friend sent me a link to keep up with the latest adds to the list. There were around 30 new entries today so you may want to check and see if your food is now on the list. From an earlier thread someone was using Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul and it is now on the list. Here's hoping that most of you don't have food on the list.

Pet Recall List

Comments (14)

• kathy9norcal
    16 years ago

This is so utterly sad. What about poor people who can't afford to throw out the food, who don't have computers or the knowledge to even check this site?. Is there no quality control on products used for animals, especially coming from countries with very unrestricted controls on food, even for human consumption?. The scope of this is so vast. We think we live in a big world, but when we see all these manufacturers using a product from only a couple of suppliers, it becomes very, very scary. And really, where is the recalled food going? Remember when bad baby formula was shipped overseas for consumption? Not so very long ago. If you remember that, you can probably venture a good guess on where this animal food is going to go.
    Kathy

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting the list. How ridiculous that this has happened, with all of the wheat that American grows.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting the list. I almost switched to the Chicken Soup dog food too but ended up buying Canidae instead. I'm glad now that I did.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    16 years ago

Thank you for posting. In China, people die from practices like this, and I was not aware of that until this horrible episode. Their inspections are a joke. I can't believe we import food/ingredients from them. Money.

The switching ingredients was for $$ in China, and common, apparently. So much bowing to the dollar... geez, we'd have paid three more bucks for the food, you know?

• rozannadanna
    16 years ago

I started making my new babies food - ground meat, rice, veggies & fruit - found info on the net somewhere - she loves it and is thriving and I am probably spending less than I would on dog food

• orchids2000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Saw this story this morning - Toxic medicine in Panama traced to China. Somehow at this point it doesn't surprise me, given the pet food incident.

• carla17
    16 years ago

Also makes you wonder about our food.

Carla

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    16 years ago

Ooooo that medicine article is terrifying. If we did it right, we'd spend so much on testing everything's quality from China that Chinese goods of this sort would no longer be cheaper. So it's disheartening either way to see so much Chinese product used [wrongly].

The melamine used in the pet food scandal has not been killing pets to this extent in China they say [where only the rich have pets and they don't trust Chinese pet food, BTW]. It seems that the melamine scrap must have contained cyanuric acid which mixed with melamine is apparently fatal.

I don't know if the melamine producers were running a scam, too, or what, but it's crazy to think that it might have taken 3 huge components of scam-or-dirtcheapest over quality to have created this sorry tale.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

I saw something on how the Chinese would add melamine to the pet food to make it appear more nutritious. Isn't that awful? Apparently it is cheaper than real protein and is common to add to cheap food to make it seem better.

Here is a link that might be useful: New York Times article

• nickelsmumz8
    16 years ago

Rozanna, please do some research to determine if the homemade diet you are feeding contains enough calcium. It could very easily not. In the short run, no big deal. In the long run -- dead or deformed dog.

If you are grinding the chicken bone in with the meat, that is a good thing. :)

• jerseywendy
    16 years ago

I am SO glad I've been feeding both of my dogs (both over 100 lbs.) only home-cooked food for the past 5 years.

I will never go back to dog food. Ever. The difference is like night and day, honestly. Yes, there is work involved in preparing your own dog food, but the effort and cost is worth every minute, every penny :)

• jody
    16 years ago

I had this go round with Whole Foods last year. I asked them about stocking a brand of meat substitute that is made here in the US - has been in business for 60+ years making high quality meat substitutes with nary a recall. I got a bunch of blather about standards and supporting developing countries.

I'm all for supporting developing countries - I'll happily pay for a hand made scarf made from hand sheared and hand spun wool from somewhere if that is what I want. I simply see no sense in paying inflated prices for "exotic" foods that are manufactured without any kind of standards or controls. The whole "organic" thing makes me crazy. What does "organic" mean anyway - it means whatever the vendor wants it to mean - it doesn't necessarily mean its better for you, but it always means its more expensive.

I love our farmer's markets - only locally grown produce. I love the stands the farmers set up out on the little roads to sell their produce. I love that they know my name because they see me every week. I'm a lot more comfortable with that than I am with something imported from China (or other places).

Okay, I'll quit ranting.

So far so good on the pet foods for me, but I'm giving real thought to making their food myself.

• flowernay
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link...I'll definately keep an eye on it. I'm relieved to see Del Monte Pet products are not on the list. Precious Pup likes kibbles n bits, Ziggy & Fluffy Marie like 9 lives.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

What a shame. At another place I go to, someone else said this would happen when the last one was posted :( I'd hoped this wasn't going to be the case.