Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprille_gw

Introducing Bella

aprille
16 years ago

Hi guys - we picked up our little puppy girl yesterday - she's a cutie! our Breeder was great with matching us with a great pup - she's very mellow and laid back. Alanna just adores her new friend and the two are already inseparable!

here's some pictures - the breed is Leonberger - they are a rare giant breed.

Mom & Dad - dad's owner had him there yesterday for us to meet - just for a reference - mom's about 120lbs, and dad tops 150lbs while baby Bella is about 22lbs at 8 weeks

{{gwi:204336}}

Bella in our overgrown back yard

{{gwi:204337}}

Alanna with her new pal

{{gwi:204338}}

Aprille

ps - Bella has already discovered roses - she thinks they are good for two things - getting out of the sun when it's hot - and chewing the petals (have to break her of that habit!)

Comments (16)

• nickelsmumz8
    16 years ago

"Little"? My biggest adult dog is 35 lbs! LOL.

Bella is just beeeyoootiful and I'm sure will be a great joy to you and your family. I have met lots of nice Leonbergers.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    16 years ago

Ooooh look at that face!! She's gorgeous! Alanna is a cutie, too!

8 weeks :) Lotta chewing going on, I imagine. Have FUN with the big girl... and make her good on a leash while she's still 'little', lol!

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

What a cutie---this is a new breed to me.
    Your daughter is already in love.

good Luck with your new baby.

Florence

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    16 years ago

I also have never heard of the breed, but she is beautiful, and so is your daughter. How old is your other dog?
    Sammy

• bluesibe
    16 years ago

Aprille hi,

I was just thinking about you. I knew you were getting your puppy. I hope the family really enjoys the great adventure.

I ran into my friend who has had Leonbergers for sometime. I told her about you and your family. She wanted to offer any assistance, if you need any. Just let me know or contact me thru Luanne. Her girl is named Bella also.

Enjoy,

Carol

(and family Blue, CeCe and Mica)

• aprille
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks nickelsmumz8 - the reason we went with Leonberger's is that we'd heard how sweet and mellow they can be - there are a lot of puppy training classes in our future!

Yep Meridith - Leash training is starting, right now she is just starting to become comfertable in the house, first day we had to carry her places, now she's walking nicey to go out, the leash has been introduced.

Thanks Florence - Leongerger's are a rare breed in America - they were first introduced in 1983 I belive when there were just 6 - now there's about 3000 of them nationwide.

Thanks Sammy - actually the first picture is of the Mother and Father - this would be our first dog.

Thanks Carol - it's great - nights are the hardest with the crate, but she's getting used to it. Last night I slept on the ground next to her crate and she was quiet. I'd love any assistance your friend could offer. you can never have too much advice - I'm getting to know as many Leo owner's as I can - luckily for me there's a lot of them out here.

Aprille

• michaelalreadytaken
    16 years ago

She's g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MichaelAT

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    16 years ago

Wow - look at the paws on that cute baby! :-) I love the large dog breeds and this is one I've never seen nor heard of before. Please post more pics as Bella grows!

AC

• pagan
    16 years ago

She is so sweet looking! And your daughter is a beauty also! have fun!

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

Congratulations on your new family member. There's nothing cuter than a puppy, unless it is your little girl!
    Kathy

• carla17
    16 years ago

Your daughter is so going to bond with that puppy. Bella is a wonderful name and she is so CUTE.

Carla

• User
    16 years ago

SHot #2 I just laughed and laughed what a great face.... long happy life puppy girl!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

She's absolutely gorgeous, may she have a long and happy life as a member of your family. Please have a look at the 'Dog Wisperer' DVD's or invest in professional training so she has proper limits in her life.

• aprille
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bella has been with us for almost a week now - and things are going great! She's had her vet visit and the vet was very impressed with how healthy she was - and also how laid back. We are crate training her and after a few nights of me having to sleep in the floor next to her crate we moved it into our bedroom next to our bed - now everyone (including the nighbours) get a good night's sleep!

hoovb - we definetely are going to get her into puppy training classes - it would be irresponsible of us not to - specially as she's a large breed dog. We have her enrolled in her first class starting June 2nd - the whole family will be going - we specially want the children to know how to interact with her in a way benifical to all.

Aprille

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    16 years ago

Oooh, Cesar the Dog Whisperer adds dog psychology to regular training. I definitely agree that his stuff is indispensible. I was clicking to my heart's content but my primitive breeds, especially, need a 'bite' to the nape, etc, to understand in some situations. Still not at all abusive, just a more innate way to get the message across that WORKS. Magic, I tell you! Add it to the regular postitive reinforcement obedience training.

I love hearing more about your Bella, for sure! Puppies are so great, especially with kids!

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

What a beautiful pup! I agree - learn that dog psychology - helps instill the fact that dogs are not human and should not be treated as one. And Cesar's methods appear to work like magic.