Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did you know

Posted by pete41 9ab FL. (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 07 at 20:34

Until 1796, there was a state in the United States called Franklin? Today it is known as Tennessee.
I didn't.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did you know

I did not know that.

MichaelAT

o

So tell us more. Why was it changed from Franklin to Tennessee?

Inquiring minds want to know--since you brought it up.

Kate

o

It was on a did you know-no explanation.

o

did you know that Queen Christina of Scotland had a tiny cannon that she used to fire at fleas?/ she also had teeny tiny little bows and arrows to shoot the fleas...

o

David Rich Atchinson (President of the Senate) was president of the United States after James Polk and before Zachary Taylor, between noon, March 4, 1849 and noon, March 5, 1849. This is because Taylor was to take office on a Sunday, but being quite religious, waited until Monday

One-fourth of the world's population lives on less than $200 a year. Ninety million people survive on less than $75 a year.

o

I should have known that, Pete... had to take Tennessee history the year we moved to Tennessee. I was probably too busy flirting with George Thomas, 7th grade.

I've got a million of them and nobody ever cares ;] The words for handcuff and wife are the same in Spanish. Niche [fr] also means doghouse... oh I won't bother with the other subjects 'cos really I'm too easily amused...

o
one more

oh one more... Kennedy's famous 'ich bin ein Berliner' meant that he was a jelly doughnut. "A berliner" was a common pastry; in German you don't say "AN American" etc: Ich bin Berliner. Berlinerin for gals.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 27, 07 at 17:17

Some interesting information about the Lost State of Franklin

Here is a link that might be useful: The lost state of Franklin

o

maybe kennedy WANTED a jelly donut?? OK< my turn again - the words for sewer and a woman's sexual organs are the same in Arabic...

o

I think that is called misogyny, Pagan. Not you, but built into the Arabic language. Not that English doesn't have that problem also. I haven't read the studies lately, but at one time there were 2-3 times as many demeaning/insulting words for women's privates as for men's.

Kate

o

Is that true, pagan?! LOL. No kidding, Kate. The handcuff thing was kind of bad, too. I do know an Arabic cuss word for a female part... briefly dated a Moroccan dude and he wanted to know what words not to say here.

I read a whole Wiki about how the jelly donut thing wasn't exactly true because Berliners didn't so much know Berliners [hey I heard it from a German, anyway]. It gave every "Ich bin ein" in movies, Southpark, etc. so I still got a huge laugh.

OMG, I think at this moment I am devoid of little-known facts. I am NOT Norm Peterson from Cheers after all!

o
RjhvjhvhjE: Did you know

OK, Norm here again...

To be correct, BTW, the plural of wife is the word that means handcuffs.

I just read a funny one, but may have translated wrong so I'll post the quote as is, too:

Quizs te caiga cmico esto: en kanji (una de las formas de escribir chino que se usan los japoneses), el smbolo que indica "paz" es un techo sobre una mujer. El smbolo por "caos"? Un techo sobre dos mujeres. jajaja

In Kanji script, the symbol for peace is a roof over a woman [or wife]. The symbol for chaos? A roof over 2 women [or wives]! That is funny.

o
cliff Did you know

It was Cliff! Gotta brush up on my Cheers trivia ;]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here