Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprille_gw

Eidible Roses

aprille
15 years ago

Hi guys - I have a question. Are all rose petals edible or is there a specific species that are edible? We are hosting a BBQ this Sunday and I just got this cool book with recipes for sangria's and there was one that caught my attention - it is called "Lime and Roses Rose Sangria" and naturally it calls for Rose petals - I'd really like to try this. Any advice is appreciated.

for those of you who might like to try it out too, here's the recpie.

1/2 cup fragrant edible rose petals, rinsed gently

2 lime slices

2 orange slices

1 ounce Cointreau

2 ounces Brandy

2 tablespoons honey, warmed

750ml bottle dry rose wine, chilled

6 oz sparkling wine, chilled

About 3 cups ice cubes (optional)

In a large (at least 2 quart) glass pitcher, gently mix together the rose petals and citrus slices. add Cointreau, Brandy and honey and stir to combine. Slowly pour in the rose wine, stirring gently. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight.

When ready to serve, slowly add the sparkling wine, stirring gently with a long-handled wooded spoon. Fill highballs, wineglasses or other decorative glasses with ice cubes if using, and slowly pour the sangria over the ice, allowing rose petals and citrus slices to fall into the glasses.

Serves 4

Enjoy!

Aprille

Comments (2)

• aprille
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I posted this on the Antique forum and got a lot of responses. The Sangria was a huge hit, people specially liked the fact that the rose petals came from the garden.

Aprille

• rosesinny
    15 years ago

As long as you don't spray, most rose petals are edible. Put them in salads, on cakes, etc. They're basically apples after all. Remember that there are a lot of Middle Eastern pastries that use rose water for flavoring - that comes from roses, traditionally Damask, but can be any. And you can use apple blossoms too. I used to use them to decorate cakes in the spring. glad everyone liked it.