Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pete41_gw

You won't believe this fish tale

pete41
16 years ago

but its true

Four different dolphin[same or different ones?] snuck within a dozen feet-thats not a misprint-of me this morning.Snuck is exactly what they did.Instead of rolling or porpoising to take in air they just stuck the tip of their snout out of the water.First time I saw it I thought it was a sea turtle.The first one caught me off guard-I heard one breath and saw it splash across a shallow sand bar-turned and right in front of me it looked like a submerged surf board.I thought he had me and could of but it just watched for a few seconds and slipped away.The third one came in so shallow it was laying on the bottom with back exposed.The last one caught me off guard again and was so close I was able to stroke its back with the tip of my seven foot rod.Did that to a manatee once but never flipper.Didn't quite have the nerve to wade out and touch.

Must be mating season.Biggest pod of river dolphin I have ever seen.Besides their normal feeding pattern they were doing all kinds of crazy things.Racing,rising out of the water,swimming in a small group slapping their tails.One actually threw a fish in the air and caught it.Probably ridiculing me as I only caught one which they could have stolen.Whatever it was a lifetime experience to be part of that.By the way the one who was grounded had skin like an elephant.

Comments (10)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

Wow, what a morning. AND you caught a fish :)

What an experience, Pete - wish you'd had a pocket sized camera. Part of the appeal of fishing to me are the things to be experienced around, near, in the water other than the target fish. We've had offshore dolphins come to, and follow the boat, circle us - I'm told they are intelligent enough they enjoy play, maybe you were the new toy they were curious about.

I don't know anything about your river dolphins, but don't wash your waders and keep us posted if you find them/they find you again....

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    16 years ago

I love your fish stories, Pete. Your writing style reflects and communicates your excitement and wonder. It's almost enough to make me take up fishing--though around here (KS), all I'd probably get are a catfish and mosquito bites.

You and the dolphins keep on playing together--I like carrying that image around in my mind.

Kate

• darbardi
    16 years ago

Seems like they're competing for you. Threw it up in the air and caught it? I'd say that one wins the prize. I guess thats you.

• starshadow
    16 years ago

perhaps they are beginning to recognize you?--they are so intelligent--and playful--or it could be that someone else has fed them?

glad you are taking us landlocked frustrated fisher people along with you on your trips---I miss it--grew up in New Orleans and we went fishing or crabbing most summer weekends--love the sea

we have several rabbits in our garden(darn rose eaters) that have become so accustomed to our presence that they will graze on clover flowers beneath our feet--we didn't do anything to try to tame them--they just seem to feel comfortable around us--I am really worried about what they are going to eat next, tho

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    16 years ago

Jealous. Yes, color me jealous ;)

That is really amazing and I'd be out there at the crack of dawn pretending to be a mermaid. No doubt whatsoever.

Lucky you!

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

what species are you fishing for? Redfish, Snook or Tarpons?

• pete41
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Flounder actually as thats what we enjoy eating but I will take anything even if I release all others.To add insult to injury the fishing report said rivers full of flounders and waders are catching 5 or 6 in a short time.I didn't see any other waders in the 3 times I fished this week and only caught one keeper.
    I wade wet this time of year but have to wear trousers and wading shoes as there are sting rays,jellyfish,sharp oyster shells,etc.

• User
    16 years ago

Mnn flounder we used to ge the big snowshoes up here 3 lbs and more last I heard they are almost non existant now. Kool experience!

• cajunrosegal
    16 years ago

Pete I want to go fishing with you, where are you anyway...Im in Ft. Lauderdale.
    The dolphins probably do recognize you they are more intelligent than we are. They stayed in the water and let us two footers create all the havoc. They roll around and eat fish all day and play...what a life.
    Ang

• pete41
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Port Orange-they recognize humans but there was no reason to recognize me personally.I know how to call them now-splash and they come to see if its fish.I was able to call quite a few.
    This morning I took a bike ride,while going over a high bridge I looked down and there were some.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting