Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Appropriate Memorial Rose

Posted by barb_in_dc z7 DC (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 5, 10 at 11:44

Hi, Rosy Friends!

I haven't been around here much in the last couple of years, but I thought this would be the place to get a quick answer to this. One of my long-time neighbors died yesterday of advanced emphysema (see the thread below on quitting smoking!). She used to grow tomatoes every year on our pool deck and there is a nice pot out there with nothing in it this year that belonged to her. I suggested to some of my neighbors that we should plant a rose in that pot in her memory. The question is: Which one? Her name was Nanette and she was from Wales. Her real given name was Hannah, but she always hated that name, so "Hannah Gordon" wouldn't do. It should be something pretty disease-resistant, since there can't be any spraying around here.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Appropriate Memorial Rose

There are so many roses to choose from---I think you should
plant something YOU like.

What is you favorite color ?--size of rose you want etc.--Some roses do very well in containers.

Have you checked the rose Gallery or the Antique rose gallery ?---

there are some really good pictures that will help you decide.

Good Luck I hope you find the perfect rose.

Florence

o

Vintage Gardens carries the gallica 'Nanette' - It's pretty and rated quite well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nanette

o

Just wanted to let you all know that I found a "Sexy Rexy" on sale in June; planted it; and, have been enjoying the blossoms for weeks. Everybody who knew my neighbor have just HOWLED at the name "Sexy Rexy" for reasons I won't go into here and thought it was extremely appropriate.

BTW: Since this is an El Nino year for those of us on the East Coast, we have suffered from a horrific winter and an equally awful summer. HOWEVER, the few roses that I have which generally are denuded by Black Spot by June, haven't shown a bit of it until this month. H-m-m-m-m.

o

I'm happy you were able to find a rose----and really happy to hear you and your neighbors have been having a good laugh about the name-----Now I'm curious about why the name can't be explained here-----
Sounds like it would be a very interesting story---LOL LOL
I'm sure we could all use a good laugh---

I'm an adult---I can handle it---LOL LOL LOL

Nice to see you back posting---

Florence

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here