Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I was shocked

Posted by pete41 9ab FL. (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 12:31

to realize I don't know who ``The heavyweight Champeen'' of the world is or even if there is such a glorified personage anymore.Fifty years ago it would have been a name familiar to everyone even if they weren't into sports.Almost as shocked to find kids today have never heard of ``the new deal'' or FDR.
I'm lost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I was shocked

Yeah, and now the kids who used to say "Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?" are shocked at everyone who has never heard of Sir Paul at all.

o

Yeah, I don't know if boxing is that big of a deal to have faded away from the mainstream, but the lack of knowledge of history is a pet peeve of mine.

When we were in school, we kept learning the same things over each year and never had time for anything past the Civil War, lol. So bad.

I majored in Poli-Sci in college in large part to finally learn what on earth happened past 1900! Of course, now I forget any details that occurred in the USA before then ;)

o

I think NASCAR has replaced it....!

o

A Russian dude, Sultan Ibragimov, is the new world boxing champ. (I had to research that one.)

Boxing, at least in the US, seems to have faded in popularity. Trends in sports, like everything else, but I had assumed boxing was a perennial classic.

Although not new, I'm interested to see how popular soccer and ice hockey have become with the youngsters here in SoCal in the past few years.

What nickelsmumz8 says about Sir Paul is too true, but I'm happy to see a resurgence of interest in '40s-'60s style jazz, with performers like Michael Buble and Nora Jones taking the lead.

o

Pete, I think Joe Lewis the the champion, isn't he? hee hee.

I never like it as a sport, but I think the training is one of the best.

Sammy

o

The Heavyweight Champ was a big deal because he was an individual. Other sports were team games and the individual was less emphasized. Things have changed.

Professional team sports hardly exist anymore. Now the stars are emphasized. To the team owners, winning and losing hardly count as long as you market your superstar properly.

o

I'm a little late on this thread but I believe "Ultimate Fighting" replaced Boxing. My daughter and son-in-law watch it all the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here