Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dove_song

What do you do when you're not livin' and breathin' roses...

dove_song
13 years ago

Hi guys. :~)

Well it's a lovely, restful Sunday here, and I'm just kickin' back and reading a delightful novel by Nancy Thayer called Summer House. It's a fun, relaxing beach read--just what I needed for a day like today! I thought it would be fun, and that we could get to know each other a little better by sharing what we are doing today. Soooz howz about it guys? Whatcha doing today?

Debbie

Comments (13)

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Hi Debbie---It is much too hot for me to go outside so I've been on the computer a lot--- watching QVC--I love to watch the Jackie Kennedy jewelry shows----they have lots of pictures and stories about Jackie----a little side note---

I am the same age as Jackie K.----Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly ( she was just one day older tham me)

sad to say those three are gone and I'm still here---LOL

I also did a little reading---and a little mending----

It is terribly hot here even 11 P.m still blistering -

thank goodness for AC.

I don't think many people check Conversations anymore--this used to be a great place to get to know our rose friends---

Florence

• dove_song
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Florence, I'm so happy to see you replying to this thread. I just loved reading about what you did today! And I'm sure lots and lots of folks would enjoy hearing about your day. Hopefully this can still be a great place to get to know our rose friends. :)

Even at 11 p.m it's still blistering there--my goodness! Today was a hot one here, as well, although at 11:20 p.m. it has cooled down to 63F. The next couple of days are supposed to be hot here in Spokane. And, like you, I am sooo grateful for AC.

So you are the same age as Jackie Kennedy, Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly--interesting. All great ladies, as are you! I'm thankful that you are still with us. You're a peach.

Stay cool, and thanks for letting me get to know you better. Speaking of better--I've always thought highly of you, but the more I get to know you, the better I like you! :)

Debbie

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Yep---same age all of us 80--- ------Grace K. was just one day older-----she was born 11-12-29-----I was 11-13-29--we grew up during the BIG depression

but I'm sure Grace's life style was much different from mine-----she grew up on the Main Line in Phila--very ritzy area or at least it used to be---

I do wish some of the people would pop back in here

I've been wondering about roslvr's DH-----

Florence

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

I'm here you two...

But Debbie, I have to admit to not living and breathing roses, for the most part they don't do that well for me here on the foggy coast, and that's in a good year. This has been such a cool wet season, hate to even describe them as they are right now :)

I'm trying to relate to 'blistering'...think I've been out of my jacket about three times all year! I'm not sure we've reached 70 yet - and tomorrows July :(

I'd love to see some sunshine this weekend, and think I'll cook a rib roast on the grill rain or shine....Do either of you have something interesting planned for the 4th? Maureen

• dove_song
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Maureen!

Happy to see you posting. :) My apologies to you, and Florence, for being so late getting back to this thread. The biggest reason for my tardiness in getting back to you two is that I can only afford a dial-up connection. (money is getting tighter and tighter) And posting on the GardenWeb is just so painfully sloooooooooow. Also sometimes it just flat out won't allow me to post at all even if I have the "patience of Job" to try and get on. :( So you see, I get so frustrated trying to post here that I often have to "cry uncle" and give up, and go to other, faster forums and places of interest on the web. It's really a "cryin' shame" as I'm very fond of a lot of the folks here.

Well now, ladies, I hope you had a jolly 4th of July. Mine was quiet, and I rather liked it that way this year. Hope yours was just the way you wanted it. :0)

Florence, I've been tuckin' Roslvr and her DH into my thoughts and prayers. Hoping for the best for them.

Take good care you two.

Hugs,
    Debbie

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Hi ----nice to see at least a few of the old gang-----it is a shame that more of our old friends don't pop in.

Maureen----I think I might have to move to your area LOL---I've has enough of this heat---

We just spent a few days in Lancaster with DD---it has been a rough couple of years for her--the divorce drags on----she had to have knee surgery-----and now she was just informed that she is losing her job--many cutbacks at the hospital---
    Plus her daughter is planning a wedding -----we did get an invitation to the shower but that is the only communication.
    Very sad for all of us----
    I've been reading a book about pearls which is interesting.
    Debbie --I'm sorry your computer is so slow---that can be frustrating.
    My computer is jumping but I will be back----
    time for bed-----
    Love , Florence

• dove_song
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, Florence, now your dear daughter is losing her job?!! Good grief--when it rains it pours. The poor dear has been through enough!! :( Also I'm so sorry to hear her daughter hasn't been including you all as much as you'd like into her life, and that you all are feeling sad. ((((Hugs))))

On a brighter note, the book about pearls sounds interesting. :) I find that a good read adds so much pleasantness into ones life. Glad that you are enjoying it. Hope lots more joy comes your way, Florence. You sooo deserve it. And also hope things turn around really soon for your daughter.

Speaking of heat--I just don't do it!! In Spokane it is supposed to get to 93F on Saturday, 96F Sunday, 93F Monday and Tuesday. Uuuggghhh! I told my daughter today that I am just staying inside all of those days. (I sincerely mean it!!) I plan on watching some good, retro dvds as the heat comes on, like:

Hazel,
    Keeping Up Appearances,
    The Red Green Show,
    All Creatures Great and Small,
    The Mary Tyler Moore Show,
    The Dick Van Dyke Show
    and more like those. ;)

Also plan on sqeezing some of my favorite documentaries in as we head into the dog days of summer, like:

National Geographics Hidden Hawaii,
    MacGillavray Feemans Coral Reef Adventure,
    IMAX Under The Sea,
    PBS Great Lodges of the National Parks
    and
    Reader's Digest America's Great Road Trips and Scenic Drives

Well, gotta go now before my computer gets all freezy. Stay cool,and hydrated, and take good care...

Love,
    Debbie

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Debbie---thank goodness for AC-----I stay inside also----I can always find something to enjoy while hibernating in the AC-----

Robyn and I attended GD shower on Sunday----It was painful but we did it---

Robyn's DH's girlfriend was there----extremely painful for my daughter----not that she wants him back but she seems to be very friendly with GD----

It is sad to watch what this is doing to my daughter---she does not deserve this kind of treatment-----

What a way to spend our "golden years"-----Amazing that one man can cause so much pain to so many people.

this divorce just keeps dragging on---

Hope someone has some happy news to report here.

I think I want to go to Tahiti and swim in the "Lagoon" they had on the "Bachlorette" last week----LOL
    take care everyone---we might be going to the Mtns next week

Florence

• dove_song
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So, Florence dear, did you go to the Mtns. ? If so, I hope you had lots of fun and are feeling refreshed.

You know, I've been thinking about (and praying for) Robyn and I got to thinking, all this stress can't be good for her health. Perhaps she could get some relief from ordering one, or more, relaxing DVDs from WAVESDVD.COM. That is what I have done to try to ease this great big build-up of stress that I have been experiencing. Well, they came in the mail today, and I put one of the BEACHES DVDs into the dvd player, cuddled-up with my Winnie-the-Pooh bear, and Piglet, on the sofa under a comfy blanket and blessedly dropped off into a deep, much-needed sleep for hours. :) (You might really enjoy them, too.)

You see, I have been under a lot of stress due to financial strain, and also due to having a local company squeeze in building a house 5 ft. from my property line in this formerly semi-rural neighborhood. The people who bought and live in that house are chronic noise-makers, doing their wild partying into the wee hours of the morning. Night after night, month after month of sleep deprivation is sooo very bad for my health--I have multiple sclerosis. You mentioned wanting to go to Tahiti, well, so do I!! to get away from them. Also, I am sick and tired of their garbage and beer cans ending up in my yard, and having some of the multitude of their fellow partiers parking in my driveway, on my lawn, or up next to the fence, gunning their loud engines and showing off to their friends how loud and noisy their SPECIAL mufflers are, and slamming their vehicle doors. Talking to them and calling the police (when they are keeping me up late) has done nothing to alleviate the problem. In my less charitable moments, which sad to say, have become more often, I think of them as "The Ugly Americans." :( Rude, obnoxious, inconsiderate people anyway...

Debbie

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Debbie---those neighbors sound horrible---I would think there must be some legal way to handle these rude people

I'm so sorry they are causing you health problems----thank goodness our next door neighbor is a delight with a little 16 mo. old precious little girl who brings us much happiness.

Another good book which I'm getting ready to read a second time---"The French Gardener"----by Santa Montefiore---I also love all the books by Rosamund Pilcher----

Take Care, Florence

• dove_song
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, there is a legal way to handle these rude people, Florence. After the third call that the police have had to respond to--for this particular problem--the rude people are fined. I've found that this doesn't seem to deter them. And, boy, if you go on the net you would find that this destructive problem is wrecking havoc in sooooooooo many other people's lives. Boy, my heart really goes out to these folks!!! Even worse, is that some of the rude people retaliate after legal actions(s) have been taken. But enough about "THE RUDES"; they have already stolen enough of my time. :P It's GREAT to hear that your precious little, 16 mo. old, neighbor girl brings you much joy! :)

It's been quite some time ago that I've read a book by Rosamund Pilcher, although I can say--she is a good writer. "The French Gardener" sounds like a good book to read. Hope you enjoy it.

Take good care, dear.

Oh, and, boy, where is everybody else?? We are missing your friendly chats and presence. :)

Debbie

• dove_song
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, it's another day in paradise, hehe. Been catching up on news from an old friend, and family members. Sure do love them. :)

Florence, have you been rereading THE FRENCH GARDENER? The title of the book sounds intriguing. Can you tell me what you like about it? :)

Debbie

• dove_song
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, good news!! Guess how you and everybody wins. Turn your enemies into friends...hehe. ;-) My neighbors are now my friends! It's sooo cool. They are quiet at night now and have totally cleaned up their yards and are maintaining them REALLY WELL. Smokin' hot, eh?!! :-D

Signed,
    Happy Debbie in Spokane!!!