Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dolphin encounter

Posted by pete41 9ab FL. (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 20:26

I was wade fishing about 30 feet from shore in the Halifax river,this morning.A couple of the resident river dolphin were working a channel about 100 feet farther out.When they were even with me one suddenly turned right towards me and came full speed ahead.It stopped abruptly about 50 feet away and broached,coming almost completely out of the water.It then made quite a commotion ,whirling around and slapping head and tail.After a few seconds of that it joined its companion and continued fishing as did I.
Can't say if it was warning me not to make a nuisance out of myself or saying``hi guy'' to a fellow fisherman.I have seen them dozens of times and had them acknowledge my presence by staying a controlled distance from me but this was the first time I ever had one use a bear type of bluff attack.Never heard of one attacking people but in some areas of Florida its almost impossible for boat fisherman to land fish as Dolphin follow them and will steal the fish without getting hooked.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dolphin encounter

Hey, that is cool. A whole world I know nothing about. The dolphin was probably warning you, but I prefer the "Hi guy" interpretation. At least he acknowledged your presence.

Thanks for sharing--I really enjoyed that vignette.

Kate

o

Have you thought maybe there was a shark in the vicinity? They are rather protective of us non flippered friends. I would love to get that close to a dolphin! Hopefully now that Im here I can!
Angela

o

Are you sure it wasn't a disguised forum moderator?

o

I guess I was in its extreme discomfort zone as they usually make a half circle in an arc almost as precise as if they used a compass.

o

nice story, Pete, wish I could have been there--can just smell the salt air and hear the dolphins coming up to breathe--

o

Hey, good story. Felt like I was there when I read it. I felt more cautious than you did.
Very funny Harry.

o

What kind of aftershave where you wearing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here