Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antivirus Software--just wondering

Posted by kenzen 9b/Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 23:15

Since you all use computers and surf the web, I was wondering how much trouble you all have with viruses and other malware. Have any of you found really good anti-virus and anti-spyware software. What about firewall "hardware?"

KenZen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antivirus Software--just wondering

i use AVG free and Ad aware. Works fine

o

• Posted by roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 8:18

I use Norton internet security, it's an antivirus and firewall. I usually buy a 3 computer pack for $30. The only downside is you have 1 year total for all 3 computers, meaning the 1 year starts with the 1st install. They used to allow it as a full year per computer once it was installed on each computer, so I could install it on 2, then again on one a year later.

For free AV my hubby uses Avast, for a free firewall zone alarm is fine. AVG is not as good as it used to be according to computer magazines.

Make sure you do not install more then one of a certain type of program, if you want something for malaware, don't install more then one because you will then have problems.

You can go here, I started it at the post by Hackman. While he suggests AVG and does not like Norton, I use Norton and don't like AVG. I installed AVG on 2 neighbors computers a few years ago, they both ended up infected. Could be user error, back then I found AVG was a bit hard to use for a novice. Avast is easy, it's what we install when we build computers.

You can also check out the post free software. There are links for all sorts of free programs from AV & firewall to photo programs.

Here is a link that might be useful: avast

o

I use Norton. But in addition I minimize my exposure to viruses by using Firefox with both Adblock Plus and NoScript. Quite a bit of the bad viruses hide in ads. Adblock Plus stops the ad from loading, and NoScript blocks java script from installing nasty things on my computer. My husband hates NoScript as he has to enable it on some web pages in order to see the page correctly. I also use a router so I have a hardware firewall, but I'm not sure that offers much protection. So far I haven't had any account info stolen or any credit card info.

o

I use Norton's and like it. There is no fanfare, it is just there. I do have a newer computer that came with Vista, so some programs are running on Vista and some on Nortons.

Many people hate Vista, but if you purchase a new computer that has it, I think it is great - except you have to remember to change to the year 2003 when you send a word document so that other computers can read it.

Sammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here