Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan4952

I love this forum!

susan4952
17 years ago

Because of all the expert advice I have received on this forum , my roses look good. The people are wonderfully generous with info. and humor.

...but one more dumb question from the noob that planted a bare root upside down (Perdita has recovered), what the hell is a DH ?

Thanks,

Susan4952

Comments (38)

• predfern
    17 years ago

Dear Husband

• reneyda
    17 years ago

I agree with you, Susan4952. The information and humor on this site brings me here several times a week. Though a silent reader for the most part, I have gained much knowledge from the experts posting here and my roses have benefited greatly.

DH is an abbreviation for Dear Husband. BTW (short for by the way), thanks for sharing about planting your bare root upside... I laughed cause it was something I did myself when just starting out.

• jean
    17 years ago

Keep in mind that depending on the nature of the post, "D" may stand for something else altogether. For instance, "DH ran over my new rose with the mower". I'll let you guess what the "D" stands for in that instance.

Jean

• andrearose
    17 years ago

Took me a long time to figure out some of these too. MIL = mother-in-law, SIL=sister-in-law, YMMV = your mileage may vary. Can't think of any others right now. Wait til we start abbreviating rose names!

Jean's example was taken from too many real-life stories, I think! haha

A

• silver_wlf
    17 years ago

I'm completely addicted ... It's funny!

What about these ones??

SP - Shovel Prune
    HT - Hybrid Tea
    BS - Black Spot

There are others ... I couldn't decipher some posts until I figured those ones out. *giggling*

• the_dark_lady
    17 years ago

My question. What do these mean?
    1. HHRD
    2. ROFL (or ROEFL?)

• pete41
    17 years ago

happy happy rose dance[your $50 dirt shipping hasn't come in yet]
    Rolling on the floor laughing
    tic-tonque in cheek.

• dmg2242
    17 years ago

I love this forum, too! It's made being a rose newbie much easier and enjoyable.

It took me forever to figure out what IMHO meant...in my humble opinion.

There needs to be a glossary of some sort listing all of the abbreviations--ha!

Denise

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    17 years ago

Many of us use GW. Garden Web.
    Sammy

• garden4moi
    17 years ago

I love, love, love this forum and totally count on it for advice and answers to my questions. I tried another forum and it seemed like it was just experienced rosarians sharing pictures of their fabulous gardens and nobody wanted to answer the questions of a newbie. I felt totally unwelcome, so here I am (and glad to be here)!

• kasiec
    17 years ago

I love this forum too. So many sharing, caring and ENABLERS here. I love Plumerias, but some how that got moved down to my #2 love. And so I sit with my coffee to read the posts and then go out to smell the roses :)

Kasie

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

DH here means the same as:

HH - hired hand

CL - cheap labor

PS - personal slave

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

welcome to all you newbies.

I know just how you feel about this Forum---

I've been gardening for many years--(I'm older than most everyone here on the Forum) but when I joined a few years ago I was thrilled to find so many wonderful helpful rosey friends.

I consider myself lucky to have found this forum and I've learned so much.

HHFD---happy happy forum dance---LOL

florence

• nberg7
    17 years ago

Here's another: TIA: Thanks in advance.

I have to use this ALL the time because I'm like Lucy Ricardo in my gardening methods, and have found endless patience with everyone on GW. Glad you're getting all the help you need too. :-)

Jean- I was thinking the very same thing about the "D" classification. snort.

-Nan

• Tammy Owens
    17 years ago

I too love this forum. For so many reasons...the advice, the comedy, the enablers, the friendship.... And because I love love roses and because other people just get tired of hearing me talk about them!

A BIG thank you to everyone on here!

Tammy

• dwelco
    17 years ago

I feel stupid asking this, but what does IMHO mean?

• peachiekean
    17 years ago

I agree. My roses do so much better since I joined in 2002 (has it really been that long?). Because of the enabling, I have all new roses since then.
    It's so nice to talk with folks who don't think we are crazy!!

• gw:gigi-f
    17 years ago

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion And I have to chime in here. IRL (In Real Life), I'm sort of quiet til you get to know me. Well, here I feel like I have EXPLODED and yack all the time. The amazing patience, tolerance and help I have found here is sometimes overwhelming. I sometimes forget I don't know much, and my limits are now opportunites to learn instead of problems. I have only joined one other community where I received such a warm welcome (belly dancing), so I think I'm becoming a lifer. My family and friends don't "get it" when I try to say anything about my roses, they think I'm nuts. So I have to restrain myself. This is great!

• ronda_in_carolina
    17 years ago

In My Humble Opinion.

and sometimes when it isnt so humble IMO
    In My Opinion

lol

(laughing out loud)

Ronda

• susan4952
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ok...so now what is a troll?

• cajunrosegal
    17 years ago

I am a newbie just joined in June so I am a REAL newbie. I am so glad Susan posted about planting her bareroot upsidedown! When I got mine I couldnt tell wich end was wich cept for the top end was green thank god! It does look the same...DD was like wich end goes down mom? Im glad I knew so I came off the expert..lol
    If my MTA - Male Tiller Attachment runs over my roses with a lawn mower he would be tilling his own bed to lay in outside!!!
    Angela

• nberg7
    17 years ago

Someone who comes into a forum to cause trouble, and then they quickly leave again. Usually they sign up just for this purpose and have not been a regular poster.
    -Nan

• daybreaker
    17 years ago

Nan,
    IMHO ;), a troll is there for attention, and can be on a forum for some time. They want to get as many responces as they can. It can be possitive and then they decide to stir things up a bit. Then they give the big finish and leave, or reregister as another person. Sad.

I love this forum to. I read here almost every day in the summer. Everyone is so helpful, and polite. I don't think I ever would have kept my roses if it wasn't for the forum. Would have been too many problems that I couldn't fix alone. Thanks all!

Denise

• blossomgirl
    17 years ago

As a newbie-I have enjoyed the 4 months on this forum-look forward to getting to know all of you! And sometimes feel like I have a room full of older big sisters giving me advice...especially about my kids. Roses too!!!
    Gigi

• carla17
    17 years ago

Ah Harry, remember Jean's description if husband weed eats perennials!! Mine has to have a babysitter with the weed eater.

Carla

• dancegypsy
    17 years ago

Even on GW, this forum is my favorite. It's so active. A thread in which I posted a day ago might be on the next page by the time I get back.

I've been working on so many different areas of my yard right now, that my roses are almost on the back burner of my project, but with all I'm learning I find myself dreaming of a giant future yard FILLED with roses! I'm totally addicted.

Thank you so much, everyone. I've really appreciated your kindnesses, your responses and your help. I, too, am looking forward to getting to know everyone better. Hey! I think today is my one-month anniversary! Woo-hoo!

Susan4952: thank you, especially, for starting this thread.

Lauren

• sam0738
    17 years ago

I like this Forum also. I thought I was the only one who got up just to go out and admire how the roses are and see whats new. I love to hear others talk about which roses are doing good. They are all so nice.
    Sam

• lefty317
    17 years ago

WTF= Wednesday,Thursday, Friday????

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

WTF is more obscene, what the ....?
    Some rose abbreviations:
    poly-polyantha
    mini- minirose (a catagory for a rose with a very small bloom but not necessarily on a small bush
    micromini- even smaller bloom
    HP hybrid perpetual

Now, do y'all know what a mattock is and how good it can be in soils where shovels fail to dig?
    Yes, this is a good place.

• moodyblue
    17 years ago

Ummmmmmmm, I think I know what you're saying Ann! - too funny!

..............so what's a mattock??? Please!!
    Pauline - Vancouver Island.

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

A mattock comes in several weights and has about a 36' long handle (for scale).
    A cousin was saying several weeks ago that because her ankles are so weak, she can't use a shovel even to replant annuals each spring. So we asked her why she hadn't used a mattock...well, there was an easy answer...she'd never heard of a mattock.
    You stand up, and swing it and it DOES go into soil, even when the soil is hard clay. And it will make a hole when a shovel just won't do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mattock

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

That is what I refer to as a pickaxe.

• sam0738
    17 years ago

I'm a plonk with roses. HEHE

PLONK Person with Little Or No Knowledge

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

Sam0738,
    Once you've asked your first question, you no longer fit into "little or no knowledge" if ever you did.
    No knowledge: plants bagged roses still in the bags.
    No knowledge: waters once a year, whether the rose needs it or not.
    (and so on and so on)

Plonk does have another rose meaning: A bouquet gathered in the garden, held in two hands and dropped into a vase there to be enjoyed without further fussing.

• sam0738
    17 years ago

Thanks Ann For Clarifying that.
    I also heard that plonk was a cheap wine. HeHe
    I have learned a lot from this forum.
    Sam

• blackgavotte
    17 years ago

Without getting too syrupy, I find this forum healing, calming, and interesting. I don't post much, but love to come and lurk around in the corners, just peeking out every so often. There are no nasties, no agression, no rudeness just gentle humour, information and gorgeous pictures. I am grateful I have found you all.

• sam0738
    17 years ago

Thats how I see it too. I so can't wait for summer to come around to see the roses again. The colors are like watching a 4th of July every day.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

Oooo, blackgavotte that's some good syrup that we love :)

Y'all come out of lurking more! Y'all sound like great additions, IMO.