Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlota_gw

Mexican Food Recipes

carlota
14 years ago

Hi, reading "what is your favorite dish" made me think about all the mexican food we eat.

My favorite recipe is for black beans.

Soak the black beans over night and rinse very well.

put in a good sized pot and cover with water, a pinch of salt, add a whole peeled onion, and 6 cloves of garlic. And a bay leaf or two.

Bring to a boil and then simmer until beans are soft.

They are great just like that but if you want refried beans, fry them up as you use them.

Saute a diced onion in a sturdy I prefer cast iron pan and then add the beans and fluid. Mash the beans with a fork; taste and add salt if needed.

We freeze what we don't eat. You'll hear me say that alot. They last longer that way.

They make great tostadas for breakfast or sides for a mexican dinner at home.

Ok, now its your turn to show off your favorite mexican recipe. I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you!

When my daughter returns I will add her fajitas which are way better then mine. And, I will try to remember all needed to make my mexican rice and enchiladas.

Comments (6)

• Terry Crawford
    14 years ago

Carlota, please do post your receipes! I would love to have the rice and enchilada recipes. Do you have any recipes for tamales? I should ask my DIL also for good Mexican food recipes; her mother/father are from Mexico and my stepson says her cooking is the best ever.
    -terry

• iowa_jade
    14 years ago

Simple things done well are often remembered with fondness.

I remember eating at Sanborns Casa Azulejos in the 60's. Their frijoles refritos were fried crispy and very hot and also picante. The guacamole was so cold it came with ice crystals. It made a great combination and contrast. I forgot what else we had for that dinner. We ate there in the 80's and it was just the normal stuff.

"Charamuscas"(caramel sweets) from Guanajuato are a treasure and are worth a trip for themselves.

The Mexicans take their food seriously, and I kind of miss the grand 7 course meals. Who has time in this day and age. We do, if we would want to. The afternoon siestas were also easy to get used to.

When we visited in the 80's there were not as many beggars, if any, but many more very poor people.

It would be nice if we, as a people, stopped buying the drugs that are destroying the tranquility in that once peaceful country.

• carla17
    14 years ago

I've been craving Mexican food recently. You all have made me hungry!

Carla

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

I think I could eat Mexican every day and never be tired of it but I really don't have any dishes that I cook regularly - especially not in summer when I keep things fast and simple. All that simmering, sauce making, chopping, grating doesn't fit into my schedule :) - the very good restaurant just 10 min away does.

I was watching a celebrity chef competition on TV last night where chefs were cooking to win for their fav charity and Rick Bayless (Mexico, One Plate at a Time) was hanging right in there with the french trained super chefs...I have one of his cookbooks and should really start trying to use it.

• carlota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How about a slow cooker Morz8? I have to pull it out but I have a great recipe for chile con carne that came from my first marriage many many years ago. You can make it in a slow cooker without much trouble and eat it for dinner that night.
    I enjoyed watching Rick Bayless on Top Chef Masters too. I enjoyed his use of tamales and frijoles negros.

Most mexican recipes are a joy to make. I was just told that in guatamala they make their tameles different, now I have to learn a new way!

cooking is one of lifes simple pleasures, so sharing recipes is a must. in my humble opinion.

Salud!
    Carlota

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!