Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starbuck coffee grind

Posted by sakura2006 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 14:30

We have Starbuck coffee shop near from my home and I want to go there and ask for used coffee grind to fertilize my roses.
My question is do they give away used coffee grind?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starbuck coffee grind

Yes, they do, part of Starbucks' Grounds for your Garden program. But, the grounds aren't a fertilizer, they have a minimum amount of nitrogen. They are primarily used as a soil conditioner and in compost. If you apply it directly on the soil, don't make it more than 1/4" - 1/2" thick, or it will form a crust and water won't be able to get through. But, as you apply over time, the micro herd (look up "Soil Food Web") will break it down, and you can apply more.

o

Coffee grounds are earthworm candy.

& earthworms are your best garden friends, opening tunnels in compacted soil, "processing" nutrients, excreting the wonderful earthworm castings...

You may run across a Starbucks that doesn't give away grounds, either becuase it's a franchised location, like the ones inside Target stores, or because the manager is a toot & has told the staff that the health department won't let them put back the grounds.

The first time someone told me that I just gaped.

If coffee grounds are a health hazard, why did the city let you open a coffee shop???

& even if they were a "hazard", if throwing them out nightly is acceptable to the health department, why don't you just bag them separately & let someone else haul them away every evening?

If your local gardener can't make it that day, *you can still put them in the trash*.

what was the question?...

o

Sylvia, you need a nice cup of coffee... ;-))

o

My DH loves to see how many bags he can get in one year-LOL--

It is kind of a mess to seperate the filters

Any suggestions what to do with the filters??

the worms love them---

Florence

o

• Posted by carlota So. Calif. z.10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 12, 09 at 22:49

We dump the filters or sometimes compost them. We brew enough coffee here that we don't need to get more. Another good use for coffee grounds is a bath scrub for the alleged prevention of varicose veins. I'm not sure that it works but it smells yummy.
Used tea is also great for the garden. And if you smoke the used up bags work great on cleaning ash trays.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here