Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrewlina_gw

microdermabrasion kits anyone?

andrewlina
17 years ago

Has anyone tried the store boughten micro-dermabrasion kits they have out now? I can imagine what it would cost to go to a plastic surgeon. I have these weird things on my face,they are not noticeable...only to me when I look through this super magnifying mirror I bought at Walmart. They are small flesh colored raised areas. Is this what M/D kits are supposed to get rid of? (no they are not skin cancer) I don't know what the heck these are called. I want to try a MD kit,but do not want to spend alot of money for something that might not work. Anyone have any homemade remedies?

Comments (11)

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

Those are sometimes really moles or what we call 'skin tags' unless they look very much like goosebumps.

The goosebump kind can be from too little exfoliation, so dermabrasion might help. I get those on my legs if I don't shave high in the winter.

I can't decide on a kit to try... I used to get the best little jar of exfoliant at Sally Beauty but I can't even remember the brand name now. It was incredible how soft it made my skin.

• vikingqueenz5b
    17 years ago

Hi...Those MD kits will improve your complexion..but don't think they will take off the bumps. I don't know what the bumps are if they are not white or black. Whiteheads are small white bumps that are covered with skin and are very hard to remove. They are the opposite of blackheads (grin). Duh!! However bhs are in your pores, and easier to remove.

I exfoliate regularly, and also use glycolic acid peels. The microdermabrasion peel will exfoliate the topmost layer of dead skin and give you a brighter and fresher looking skin.

Good luck,
    Brenda

• jerseywendy
    17 years ago

andrewlina, if I would look at my face with a super magnifying glass I'm sure I'd scare myself.

As I'm aging (my skin, NOT my mind...lol), I notice more and more imperfections on my skin. Just recently I found one of those raised skin-color tiny bumpy things on my eyelid. I did ask my doctor about it on my last visit, and she told me it's only a skin tag. ONLY? On my eyelid of all places? Granted, it's super tiny, but just knowing that it's there sometimes drives me bonkers. For now I'm living with it, but if it continues to bother me I will look into having it removed.

A few years ago I grew one of those things on my neck, and my doctor "iced" it off. It didn't even leave a scar. Don't think they can do that on the eyelid though.

Sorry, I've never used the MD abrasion Kits offered at stores, so I can't tell you what they do or don't do.

• andrewlina
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have skin tags on my neck area,front & back. I had a big one under my arm,I tied dental floss around it,it turned black and I twisted it off. I asked the plastic surgeon about skin cancer and stuff with doing that to those dang tags,he said no it will not hurt. I have skin tags that I froze and clipped off,man do those little suckers bleed! No the raised areas on my face are not skin tags,although I have a couple small ones on my eyelid and underneath my eye,ewwww! These raised bumps are identical color to my natural skin tone,I guess I cannot describe them any better than little raised bumps,that look like an accumulation of skin cells. I guess I will have to exfoliate the heck out of my face.

• buffington22
    17 years ago

I have had complexion problems (very oily,Acne) since I was 13. I've tried EVERYTHING -even Accutane twice. You might have enlarged oil glands which only a laser will remove permanently. I use prescription Tazorac which is the next strongest retinoid cream to oral Accutane and it does shrink mine almost completely if I use it several times a wk. I would recommend you see a good, experienced dermatologist that really cares that you improve, not just that you can be a source of easy income. I also use a 2% beta hydroxy acid lotion daily and add baking soda as an exfoliant whenever I wash my face.Also, never use bar soap on your face because they use tallow(wax) to keep the shape and it will clog your pores. I do have a home MD kit and use it frequently. It makes my skin feel very smooth for a while but nothing permanent. All of these product do take time! It will not happen in 2 wks. but you will see improvement if you stay with it. Hope this helps. Buff

• cbarkston
    17 years ago

I've never had a professional microdermabrasion so I really have nothing to compare it to, but I've used home microdermabrasion kits by L'Oreal, Neutrogena, and Mary Kay. All were around $30-40 (and that's probably cheap compared to some of the pricier department store lines). I've heard about the home-made baking soda paste having the same effect. All the products were pretty similar and did make my face feel really smooth and soft, but as Buffington said, nothing permanent. I do use them almost daily. One caution is to be very, very careful using these products to avoid getting them into your eyes, as they can cause eye abrasions.

• skin-care
    17 years ago

professional microdermabrasion is the real deal in terms of skin care, the kits are ok for a short time span, not to mention expensive when you have to get one every couple of months or so.

• bettym_grow
    17 years ago

Andrewlina, I would not spend any money on the over-the-counter kits.

If I were you I'd call a plastic surgeon & get a professional opinion if these raised bumps are bugging you. A PS will be able to tell you exactly what they are & prescribe the best course of treatment. In my personal opinion they may even be facial warts which are on the smallish side. These are very common but difficult to treat on your own.

Treatment may not be as expensive as you may think if you go to a PS. You may actually end up paying more on over the counter stuff. & you may not need invasive procedures either!:) A course of Retin-A or a quick zap here or there & walla! they are gone!

Don't forget that insurance may cover some of this too! I'd go to my primary care doc & get a referral to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Betty

• carla17
    17 years ago

I bought some of the Neutrogena special expensive mask, not worth a dime.
    Betty, Hi. I've been reading about laser for brown spots. Still haven't done anything about skin yet.
    I don't believe anything over the counter does anything much, Olay has a new product that only has 2% hydroquinone in it. That percentage does nothing.

Carla

• bettym_grow
    17 years ago

Hey Carla,

The only thing that over the counter products are good for is milking my wallet!hahaha

I tried a product my sis highly recommended about 6 months ago. It was a mask that was supposed to make your face feel warm besides the supposed other benefits. Arbonne was the brand.
    Anyways, I put it on one night, & sure enough I started feeling the warmth, well I waited the allotted 10 minutes, then I rinsed it off. Shortly thereafter, I felt the muscles around my mouth contracting downwards!
    I ran to the bathroom & sure enough my mouth was contorted downwards! I don't know what strange interaction caused this! I freaked out because I needed to put the little ones down & I thought "I'm not gonna let them laugh at me" so I tried to smile & they just stared at me & figured I'd gone nuts or something, I had a strange glazed, frantic look & a shaky strange smile. Reminded me of the Joker from Batman & Robin.

I told my sister & she laughed & laughed & said she had no idea that that would happen...

Thank god the effects only lasted 5 minutes. I swear I'll never try another one of their products.

So, andrewlina beware! Don't try this one!

Betty:)

• patrice1138
    16 years ago

I'm having the same problem (adult acne) and suffer the same fear: is microdermabrasion really a good idea? I mean, I've been contemplating plastic surgery -- and I suppose a lot of that has to do with the surgeon (and I verified his license and degree through My Cosmetic Surgery Advisor), but I mean -- how is scraping a layer of skin off my face going to help my acne heal?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Cosmetic Surgery Advisor

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert