Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
who besides me uses skulls in the garden?

Posted by rainlily_sis (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 07 at 21:26

This is the remains of Mustard, a faithful old cow who lived out her years at my dad's ranch. I have her leaning against a pot with a cactus in it. Please pardon the weeds - we were mowing today and hadn't moved Mustard yet to get her spot done - I thought the weeds added so much character to the photo! lol

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Also, whenever we find an empty turtle shell in the woods, I put it in my rose bed. It fades out to a beautiful white.

Anybody else a weirdo like me? ha
Sis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: who besides me uses skulls in the garden?

I have a skull of a large dog in my office. One of the field crew found it and brought it in. I'll have to bring it home and photograph it. Wonder what my neighbors will think?

o

I do have skulls in my garden - elk, horse, bobcat, prairie dog. Plus cow horns, deer horns, elk horns, and an elk femur. However, I am my own special sort of weirdo, thank you very much! :-)

Cheers,
Michelle

o

I love it Sis but you better be careful. Those folks on the 'Pet Peeves' thread over on the Antique forum might take offense (LOL). BTW how long did Mustard lay there before the soft tissue decayed and left the skull? Just kidding but John (SIL) has a perfect 10 point skull of a buck he found that we mounted and hung in his den. Someone asked him if the taxidermist cured the hide before he stuffed it.

o

No, but do dead hamster and guinea pig corpses work? LOL
Sis, you have such great imagination and a great eye, guess that's why your photography is such a work of art.

Carla

o

Peachikean, come up with a wild story to impress your neighbors, like a wolf story or something, lol!

Michelle, you are now my hero of weirdness - I want to have more skulls like you! haha

Hamp, LOL! Isn't that thread a HOOT! I even had to put my $.02 in. Ah, yes, old Mustard - she's been gone a while, probably 10 years, I don't remember the length of decay, haha. I put that photo on a photography forum that I hang out at, on a "day in the life" thread, and the guy under me put a picture of his grill with 4 steaks on it - the next person was saying "is that her cow on your grill?" haha

Carla, if those don't work for skulls, they should be great fertilizer! haha
Thanks, girl - that was so sweet, what you said.
Sis

o

• Posted by taureau 8B South Louisiana (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 15:47

May be a good idea to place some skulls on the edge of your property with a sign reading, "Survivors will be prosecuted."

o

LOL! Ya'll are too funny! No skulls in my garden, but lots of live critters. I got up at 6:30 and have seen several squirrels, tons of birds, a cat, a wild bunny, a lizard, and a big orange fluffball! (Oh wait, that was Max, tinkling on my roses! No wonder they are not happy!)

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 17, 07 at 12:38

You are not alone, rainlily sis.

o

AWW, COOL!!!!

I have to find something to make grow out of my skull's eye socket now!

Thanks, catkim! They look GREAT!
Sis

o

Have any like this?
Jim

o

Oh, Jim, I GOTTA have a dragon skull, where did you get that?

I know, I know, on your last conquest, right?

haha!

That's so cool, I love it!

If I had one, I'd put it by Fairy Queen or Golden Unicorn, lol!
Sis

o

Sorry Sis, but I can't claim that dragon skull. I 'borrowed' the picture from the web, The Garden Junk forum I think. I thought it was pretty neat and would really like to have one.
Jim

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 18:59

Just my own. It's pretty empty, tho not empty enough for epiphyllums. Yet.

o

An interesting subject! A man who used to live in the neighborhood had a wonderful vegetable garden with a whole line of animal skulls which looked like cattle skulls. Is there possibly some gardening lore involved here I wonder?

o

haha, you all crack me up!

hoovb, LOL!
Sis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here