Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Life Writing, Ever Do It?

Posted by taureau 8B South Louisiana (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 07 at 22:26

I am thinking about taking a "life writing" class. I don't know much about it and would like someone to explain it to me. Our local university offers a class in it and will begin a new class soon. I think, but not certain, they meet once or twice each week. What would I write about? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Merci. Ton ami, T

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Life Writing, Ever Do It?

I always wanted to do that but never have. I open up Word on the computer and immediately undergo paralysis. I do a little better with pure fiction although it's been my experience that my experiences always come through, if only recognizable to me. What else is there I guess? :)

Is Ernest Gaines still down there?

The Creative Writing program used to have some wonderful folks in it--created it from nothing and were truly interested in seeing people advance, very attentive. One of them left and came out here to run the CW program at UC Santa Cruz and another one of my faves has passed away.

MichaelAT

o

I signed up for one once, buyt the instructor was a dip... would like to try again tho. What I would like would be more of a writing group, getting together weekly or so to read our stuff, get opinions, etc.; so I would be accountable to do ing it...

o

• Posted by vjcamp Z7 Euless, TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 25, 07 at 22:31

I thought about getting a mini tape recorder- many of my better ideas or memories/stories come when I am not where I can write them down- they also come faster than I can capture them.

o

• Posted by jody 7b - NC (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 28, 07 at 9:25

I had a wonderful teacher in high school, of all places. He required you to write something every day - about anything - you just had to write. He collected the notebooks (not the whole class, just several people a week) and made comments. I found myself looking at everything around me as something I could write about. I credit him with my comfort in front of a word processor. One of my high school mates is published - she has real talent.

I think the little tape recorder is a good idea. A great way to capture those thoughts, those moments of wonder and gratitude or angst or comedy.

o

• Posted by taureau 8B South Louisiana (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 29, 07 at 19:22

Friday morning was the end of this semester's writing class. Myself, and others were invited to attend. Some of the writers read their papers. All really good reports. I really enjoyed them. I did sign up for next semester's class. I found out that most, don't stop at the end of one semester, they continue on. Some have been doing this for several years.
It is life writing, but it is all in segments, or events in their lives.
One elderly gentleman said, he gives his stories to family members as gifts. More later, T

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here