Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shark Attacks ???

Posted by pagan 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 07 at 8:21

Yesterday's news on a local station : "2 tourists may have been bitten by sharks off the Isle of Palms. They may have been treated at a local hospital - police may be investigating."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shark Attacks ???

Oh hello, we are headed down there next week.
LOL, do you have a pool?

Carla

o

So a shark takes a nibble or two, a much maligned cute fishy, jellyfish are the real PAIN in the ocean. A shark will usually spit it out the "yucky" while jellyfish you still have to swim through them to get to shore or if you know they are there: head for the pool in the first place.

Here is a link that might be useful: A fine day at the beach indeed!

o
RE: Attacks ???

I have only been stung by jellyfish once in all my mumblemumble years of living near the ocean... and only actually seen a shark between me and the shore once too! Notbad odds...

I LOVE the glow-in-the-dark jellyfish display at the local aquarium! If ever I get an aquarium that is what I want... far too cool!

I also enjoy watching the octopus in his big glass cage, but it always cracks me up. I swear the octopus looks like a big ole' scrotum - and I defy anybody to study one and tell me it doesn't!!!

o

I want to see the glow-in-the-dark jellies when I come!

o

As a child I was stung by jellyfish or pinched by crabs more times than I'd like to count. Such is life living on the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. While snorkeling off the Florida reef I saw enough sharks and barracuda to make me swear off the ocean entirely. There are just too many creatures beneath the waves that like to bite/sting and you can't see them coming.

o

Funny-the news is talking about shark bites as I started to read this.Two people got nibbled this weekend here at Daytona Beach.I have to admit I think about being the first to be attacked by dolphins as I am kayaking and they come within feet of me.

o

I think there are just more people in the water, hence more chances of somebody being munched! Pete - I have heard about people being bitten by dolphins - they are still wild animals (the fish, not the people) and should be treated with respect!

o

I meant the mammal-they are intimidating when they are as long as the boat-lol

o

Hilton Headies told me this weekend you have to use something like a credit card and scrape the "thing" that the jellyfish leave when they sting. I'll just lie in the surf like a whale.

Carla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here