Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagan_gw

whatcha reading?

pagan
16 years ago

Stayed up way too late to finish a book. I deviated from my usual habit of reading light and fluffy chick lit (less fat, less filling) and have read several new releases that tell decidedly unhappy, if more real world, stories... methinks I am going back to my safe nonsensical chatter. I have been extra gloomy lately - increased my paxil but still getting caught in the odd teary gloomfest, so time to lighten up.

DH is off today - will allow him to do some housework, then we will go to PT and then off to see the world.

copied this from a Blog:

"...Tuesday at Founders with my juniors, helping them find sources for their research papers. Up and down the stairs, checking with them at the computers, helping them with their searches, then marching them to the stacks with call numbers written in loopy scrawls on scrap papers. Bianca was amazed when we found her book in the long rows of stacks. Wow, that's neat how that works. Then sending her own her own, fledgling researcher, to find the next one. A proud, triumphant return with book in hand. Edward, finally at the shelf with books about the Amazon rainforest. "Here's what I always do when I find a book I'm looking for, Ed. I look on the shelf all around it for other titles that might help me." "But what I do when I've got the book?" "Look at chapter headings and find what interests you." Most of them had never used the library before, and while they are up to date with the latest technologies, cell phones, MP3 players, and all the easy information gathering resources online (Wikipedia anybody?), the card catalog and searching through the stacks was a new experience."

How sad is this?? or maybe my question should be - How old am *I*??

Comments (14)

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

I'm reading fifty plant pathology papers I downloaded at the library on Monday. Now that's depressing.
    For lighter reading, I have Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook, which is a cookbook and life and cooking commentary and I'm really enjoying the read.
    I've also got some 1800's books that I downloaded by Mrs. Gore (who also wrote a rose book) and her look at "Paris in 1841" is interesting. Chapter II includes Domestic Life of the Court of France- Interiour of the Palace of the Tuilleries- Royal Fetes- A Bal Monstre/
    A sentence picked at random.
    "There is scarcely a aspect where French women, especially those of the middle class, are seen to greater advantage than in the garden of the Tuileries. Throughut the summer season, young mothers and their children may be found spending nearly the whole day under the shade of its verdant avenues of lime and chesnut trees, thoroughly occupied by their work or book; unostentatious yet elegant in their dress, and graceful and orderly in their deportment."
    Sure beats the heck out of going out and weeding.

• bettym_grow
    16 years ago

"The Years's Best Fantasy and Horror". eighth annual collection. I wanted some light reading for the tail end of summer before school starts up again for me.

Betty

• pete41
    16 years ago

Zits and Garfield
    Well okay-Gourmet and Food and Wine also.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

I finished Stardust a couple of weeks ago before the movie came out. The book is great, but I read a couple of reviews of the movie and now I don't want to see it anymore. I think it would annoy me because it doesn't sound very faithful to the book.

I'm supposed to be starting Nightwatch next. I got tired of waiting for the sequel Daywatch to come out in theaters so I figured I'd read the book while waiting to see the movie. I'm having trouble getting started on it as I'm not sure I'm ready for another series although apparently the last novel hasn't been translated yet so it is only two novels right now. I should finish Sandman at some point too but I can't remember which one I had last. That's the trouble with getting them from the library.

Pete41 - did you ever read the Garfield where he is abandoned and starving to death? The onion has an article on cartoon strip deaths and talks about that strip. It's very strange.

Pagan - I'd love to find an old card catalog cheap somewhere. I've seen a couple at antique stores but they've all been expensive. I used to love flipping through the cards to find a book. The library here is completely computerized.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comic Death

• labrea_gw
    16 years ago

The Wolves of Calla whic is taking forever I only read at work when it's slow. It hasn't been a slow summer by any stretch!

• taureau
    16 years ago

I have read all of John Grisham's books. I mostly like non-fiction but I make a few exceptions. The truth is more fascinating than fiction. Grisham's book, "An Innocent Man" was excellent and it was his first non-fiction.

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

I read a coupla best sellers - The Memory Keeper and The Glass Castle. Both pretty interesting.
    But what's been keeping us glued to the tube this summer is Seasons 1 & 2 of "The Shield". It's the same as not being able to put a book down.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Finishing up Falling Man (only have been on the last chapter for 2 weeks). Also reading A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (yawn, but required for PMP Certification) to be followed shortly after by PMP Exam Prep. Al Gore's The Assault on Reason is next up on the "casual reading" list, I'll start that on my trip to GA next week.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

I've been rereading all the Harry Potter books. Now that the ending has been published, reading back, the clues are all there, in plain sight.

Also rereading the P Allen Smith 'Garden Home' book, which has been quite helpful as far as design basics. There are some problem areas of our garden that need improvement.

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Echo Park (Paperback) by Michael Connelly. 442 pages...read the entire book cover to cover yesterday. Good read....and I didn't figure it out before the end. I may read more of his books in the future. This is only the second book of his I read, and I like them both.

What else can you do but read. Its been over 102 for 2 weeks now.

Ronda

• carla17
    16 years ago

Can't get into any books right now but I think this winter maybe.

Carla

• iowa_jade
    16 years ago

Pass the paxil please!

The Last Forest was written by some old tree huggers that have written about this many times before. Basically it's f**ked, but there are a lot of good people living there and there are some bright spots, other than the ubiquitous Globalization Green Zones. Harley Davidsons are made there of all things. They may be assembled in Wisconsin, but.

Humans are a tough bunch and some of them will survive and flourish.

The Troll reads Mystery books, one after another.

Should I worry?

Here is a link that might be useful: The Last Forest

• kathy9norcal
    16 years ago

I am reading The Stolen Child right now. It is very good so far.

I recently read a Christopher Moore book, A Dirty Job. If you were raised a Catholic and have a good sense of humor, you just must get Lamb by the same author. You will wet your pants laughing.

Also recently read Paranoia by Joseph Finder. I would highly recommend it.
    And a few Dean Koontz books (I never was a fan of his) that I really loved--Odd Thomas, Odd Fellow, The Watchers.

And, I read my first Nora Roberts book. I alway sneered at them, thinking they were dumb romance novels. A co-worker gave me Northern Lights, which I put in a drawer at work and forgot for at least 6 months. I loved it! A mystery and romance in Alaska. I think she writes quite well. So there. I confessed my guilty pleasures.

Kathy

• taureau
    16 years ago

I'm reading about Louisiana's Greatest Natural Disaster. No, not about Katrina. It's about a killer hurricane and tidal wave of 1893.

http://www.tabloidcadien.com/Cheniere/