Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol_se_pa_6

Where is everybody?

carol_se_pa_6
15 years ago

I know a lot of people are on vacation or busy out in their gardens but it seems a lot of regulars are MIA. I would think that Pete and Devon should be back from Disney soon unless they gave up on us. Speaking of Disney, has anyone visited the Desert lately? I get an error message when I try to see what is happening over there?

Its getting a little lonely over here!

Comments (50)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

I think there have been some problems here, and many people have stopped coming. I wanted to try to gain some momentum by asking some questions that was interested in.

I have some terrific answers, but wish more people would visit regularly.

The desert seems to be barren. I don't have any details.

Some of us who would like to post cannot justify the post as a rose subject, but they still have things to say.

I hope more will start visiting.

Sammy

• theroselvr
    15 years ago

Carol, in all of my years coming here, I've never seen it as dead as it's been in the last year or so.

• kittymoonbeam
    15 years ago

Sometimes I see the decline in local gardens and I wonder if people don't have time or money to garden like they used to. I know I bought only a few roses and tools. Not like years past when I spent so much more. The parkways are being turned into lower water use areas. I am giving the grass away to neighbors who want to patch places in lawns that have died out.

Maybe too, people are stressed out and busy trying to get by. We don't live in a poor area, but I know retired people on my street who have gotten jobs and moms that used to stay home and don't anymore. Gardens are looking brown and tired in the summer heat except for die hard gardeners like me who would rather live on peanut butter and jam than stop watering the roses. I don't think it's the rose forum...at least I never saw any mean spirited talk lately.

I miss Pete too. I wish he would return. I love the way Harryshoe and Pete would banter back and forth.

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

I also miss the "old days" when there were so many regulars who posted everyday-----

How long does Pete have to stay in Disney and how about Devon---he always said such nice things about everyone.

I've been trying to think of some of the familiar names that I don't see anymore---"Bellport" pops into my head and Susan--Tivoli Rose and LIR--to name a few----I will come up with some more--maybe they will respond.

Florence

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

Florence, there was one nice person who was especially friendly with you who posted a few years ago. Was her name Dawn? I forget, but she was likeable.
    I also miss Deb from Studio City.

I don't miss some of the fun that others have missed because some people were really hurt. It was subtle, but I know of many who stopped coming because the jokes ended up insulting them. I am sensitive to it because it happened to me.

Sammy

• timestorm
    15 years ago

Iceberg syndrome.

There was the visible occurring here on the forum.

Then there was the invisible, below the surface, occurring in private via email.

Suffice to say, those have a funny way of being "forwarded" and some of them tell a FAR different story of who presided over this and why.

So be it.

TS

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

In addition to the above, I think there's a lot more going on the web now than there used to be...a conversation forum like this one is showing its age, technically speaking--for example, YouTube, Blogs, you can take free courses from MIT and Harvard, watch the Olympics, etc--so much amazing stuff out there. I think it has been fading for a while--Pete/Harry and Devon kept it going a while longer is all.

I guess I'm one of the ones who missed out on all those private emails. Probably a good thing! :)

• kittymoonbeam
    15 years ago

I never gave out my email to anyone. Glad that I never knew about any mean talk behind anyone's back. If people want to talk privately, of course they can. I like it when we can share our ideas with everyone. Isn't that the reason for being here?

• carla17
    15 years ago

Strange how this person knows about private e-mails since their membership is June 08. Just an observation. There are so many "hidden" members occuring that it's hard to trust who they really are.
    I miss Devon terribly. How long must someone be punished.
    I also miss the old days. You can look back and see some of the friendships and sharing that went on. This was once a lively and enjoyable page.
    The facts are that certain people made some people mad and hurt them here, for their entertainment, and due to lack of compassion or concern. Personal facts about people's lives were exposed and not in a good way. People were "attacked" for no good reasons and yes, there were private e-mails about that. Not so much to gossip or "talk" but just facts. There used to be some really neat, talented people here. Now, more barren.
    "A relationship is like fine china, once broken it can be repaired but it is never the same." author unknown

Carla

• cajunrosegal
    15 years ago

Ive noticed that there are alot of people gone, Ive lurked and visited but didnt feel like it used to. I used to visit everyday and pick everyones brain because I was new to rose gardening.
    I havent been coming lately because of moving and other things but I also had stopped coming because of somethings that were said.I wish that it could go back to the fun place that it used to be.
    Angela

• labrea_gw
    15 years ago

I check in here every now and then. Gee I always thought Pete and Devon were the same person!

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Joe----------boy am I ever stupid it never occured to me-that Devon and Pete could be one and the same--------LOL---Do you remember the pictures that Devon posted of his home in Ca??? It was a gorgeous place !!
    Devon always sounded so poetic-----

Well---whoever they are I wish they would come back---

BTW---Pete---How is Edd ??
    Florence

• labrea_gw
    15 years ago

I remember the photo of a pool lined with great landscaping (not a single flaw in that shot) and I remember a blurry self photo that came from a very different kind of photographer and camera. Other than that no other pictures or talk of the pool that was to become a garden ah well. EDD isn't all that well we are trying to get him on a heart trasnplant list. 5 doctors say great candidate the decision maker says not sick enough. He's dejected but the never stops him from getting out there and painting in his studio or being useful in the community. Thanks for asking Florence.

• labrea_gw
    15 years ago

I remember the photo of a pool lined with great landscaping (not a single flaw in that shot) and I remember a blurry self photo that came from a very different kind of photographer and camera. Other than that no other pictures or talk of the pool that was to become a garden ah well. Too much time wasted thinking about fiolk that ren't here or that I did'nt care for. EDD isn't all that well we are trying to get him on a heart trasnplant list. 5 doctors say he's a great candidate the decision making doc says not sick enough yet. He's dejected but the never stops him from getting out there and painting in his studio or being useful in the community. Thanks for asking Florence I hope you are pain free these days.

• carla17
    15 years ago

Oh Florence, Pete could never be Devon. Devon is a kind and caring person, and far more sober minded than Pete. I am in touch with Devon and wish he could return.

Carla

• labrea_gw
    15 years ago

AH well I was wrong!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

I think Pete is unique to himself. People just took him too seriously. Devon was an emotional and passionate contributor. Hopefully, they will both return.

Forums like this are in constant flux. Some posters leave and are replaced by new posters. I keep trying to tell myself that the new people are just as valuable as the old timers. But, relationships are built over time. There are a few that I really miss hearing from.

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Carla----Please tell Devon I was asking about him---He was such a ray of sunshine on the Forum----
    I miss him---happy you are in touch with him.

Florence

• dirt_yfingernails
    15 years ago

Florence, I agree. I miss all the old regulars here. I've been mostly a lurker since I moved to my new place nearly 3 years ago. worked on about 14 retaining wall beds that were badly grass-infested for the first two years. Have them pretty well established, but it was double the work because I had to dig up all my plants from my old place and them replant at the new one. The beds are all filled but one. So this year we are working on building a brand-new vegetable garden. Lots of work. The soil in the area is very bad, pure yucky sand, not good sand like at the old place. I miss our old veggie garden. The new one is "instant" lasagna. We spread newspaper and cardboard, then covered it with a purchased 10-yard load of black loam with clay in it, we discovered. It's great dirt. We built it mostly on weekends, so the plantings have been staggered datewise. We've been enjoying tomatoes, herbs, various summer squash, won't get winter squash this year, but my grandma always harvested the immature winter squash at the end of the season and used them like summer squash, so that may be an option. We've had radishes, will have beets soon (I can almost taste the borscht, pickled beets, and Harvard beets!) For some reason the cucumbers are coming slowly. But we have had lots given to us by friends. May get carrots, onions, cabbage, kohlrabi, and lots of others. Obviously, we're hoping for a late frost (Average last frost date is Sept 25, probably a few days earlier in our new place). The beans are just coming on. I'm going to plant radishes and lettuce this weekend for a late fall crop. It will take another year or two to finish the veggie beds, then we can finally finish the rest of the upper yard into my long-awaited flower beds. Then I'll be able to bring the rest of my beloved plants home followed by probably the year after of finding NEW flowers especially roses to love. Accompanied by planting lots of fruit trees and bushes, too. We've planted several itty bitty baby fruit trees I bought from the senior center for $5 each. Will take years to get a crop. Sigh. The back yard is probably close to 2 acres. It'll be nice not having to mow it and look at the sparse grass and weeds, but a lot of hard work to get it to that point. Hand hauling the dirt by wheelbarrow uphill. Sigh. Again.

• iowa_jade
    15 years ago

Usually when I speak, everyone makes a beeline for the door.

I have been out in the garden, in my beautiful blackspot ridden, waabit eaten garden.

Foghorn

• carla17
    15 years ago

Doug, I missed you too. And of course Dave. Dave is mia but I know where to find him. Our gardens must be alike, blackspot.

Carla

• iowa_jade
    15 years ago

Thank you Carla!

I also miss Pete & Devon. It is hard to play handball without a wall.

F.L.
    IAGL

• kathwhit
    15 years ago

I'm still here. Just getting over my summer vacation and heading back to work. I finally got my own computer and now won't have to use the one at work or DH's. Still doing sound with the band, playing the mando, walking Freddy, and just sent my son to college at Tulane U. in New Orleans of all places. Yes, he got evacuated and caught a plane and came home to Oregon and missed Gustav. He will go back next weekend. My garden has been wonderful all summer and not too much work after the spring. I just did a bunch of deadheading and weeding today. Back to work tomorrow. I miss you all and hope we can keep in touch.
    Sincerely
    Kathy

• LindyB
    15 years ago

I'm still around but don't visit this page very much. I miss Brian (Cayenne). His stories always made me laugh. Anyone know how he's doing?

Linda

• onewheeler
    15 years ago

This is the first time in months and months that I have had a chance to come here. It used to be my home page but life got busy and I had to change it. Not enough hours in the day to read all here and still work and garden, so something had to give and unfortuately this forum is what I had to give up.

I miss the friendly times we used to have here. Hopefully now that the garden season is winding down we will all have more time to post.

Valerie

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Hi Valerie------Nice to see some old friends popping back in--

this used to be a very lively place and I met many wonderful people.

Wouldn't it be nice if some more of the old friends would check back in.

I usually stop in once or twice a week to see what is happening.

Florence

• rozannadanna
    15 years ago

The economy is effecting things. I think more and more people are like me. I love my roses but I can't eat them. And although I have a good job, the idea is there in the backof mind that things might change. Roses are a luxury that I will not allow myself right now. still trying to nurse the remains back to life after moving back here but not spending the money to replace the lost ones. If you can't eat it I am not planting it. We are actually growing a market garden and selling vegetables plus the eggs. Life is good but like I said "if you can't eat it we don't plant it"

I do miss you all.

Merry Christmas

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

It was great to hear from you Rozanna. I am glad things are working out, but you should fill us in. Your adventure was one of my favorite GW stories.

• Adgerlady
    15 years ago

I miss you too, rose people...

Life is so fast...
    Sis

• rozannadanna
    15 years ago

Harry, I have been back in Texas in my house since mid Feb but everything there was in such a mess - the gardens, house, everything. We are just now getting all the damage to the house fixed. Bruce told me yesterday - we need to prune although he is really afraid to work on the roses. He will learn - it's not rocket science. So I suspect that the next nice weekend we will gird up our loins and strap on our felco's. Until then - just trying to get through Christmas

Sis - come and see me

• carla17
    15 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone. Nice to hear from Sis and Rozanna!
    Rozanna, I heard from our long lost Nay. She is still close but haven't seen her lately.

Carla

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Rozanna------I'm so happy to see you posting----I've been wondering how things are with you-----You were one of the first friends I got to know----

Please keep in touch---

Do you know how Susan is doing ???

Hi Harry ----"old friend"

Merry christmas everyone.

Florence

• flowernay
    14 years ago

*peeks head in door* ... "Howdy, long time, NO 'E'" Some of us "lost" rose maniacs are still popping in the rose forum, must be in our blood. :)

Carla, I'm at Northside hospital in Atlanta visiting my dad right now. I still technically live in N.C. but we're going to have to move soon... not sure where we'll land, but I'll let you know when we do.

I miss everybody, and I miss the Texas rose parties and road trips. I'm HOMESICK!!!

(((E-hugs)))

Nay

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    14 years ago

Hi Nay,
    I hope you stay in touch.

Sammy

• flowernay
    14 years ago

Thanks, Sammy. :) I will.

I really like the folks here whether I've met you in person or not. I should add that even though I don't post as often as I used to, I do respect each persons gardening wisdom, hard efforts, labor of love and the talents you bring. ~ I bet I'm not the only one around here who looks at the weather channel and worries about everybody else's roses.. LOL..

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Just stopped in to say hello to old friends.---Rozanna --you were one of the very first rosie friends I met back in 2002----You posted "I come to the garden alone while the dew is still on the roses'---that really caught my eye--reminded me of my early Sunday School days.
    thanks for asking-----I'm still in pain---had several Epidurals but the past two days I had to use the walker again--Gardening is painful ---I love to get my hands in the dirt---
    Hope everyone is OK--

I do miss the old days and all the interesting exchanges of ideas.

Florence

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    14 years ago

Hello, everyone :) I just placed my first rose order in over a year [at Ashdown] and had to pop in. I graduated in March, if y'all remember that I was in school. Good to read some old names :)

• cajunrosegal
    14 years ago

Hopefully everyone is doing ok Ive moved and moved again trying to settle in an unsettled economy. We were buying a house and found out that the owner/seller was in forclosure and we lost the house. We are living in an apartment and I have no sun areas to even have a pot grotto. I miss my house in louisiana for the roses. The new wife/gal pal my ex has slaughtered every rose that was planted.
    Zeffy its nice to see your here I was worried about your surgeries and hope you are doing better. Has Pete returned yet?

Missed all of the rosey peoples.
    Ang

• msjam2
    14 years ago

Hi everyone! I've been gone for a while because I was preggy last year, never did anything to the garden besides feeding the roses in the beginning of my pregnancy. Thankfully, my roses did just fine. DH and I were blessed with a baby boy in Nov. I can't believe he'll be 10 months old in two weeks! I try and come here, even just to look at photos to keep me inspired. It's been one hell of a hot summer this year in DFW.

• carlota
    14 years ago

Wow,
    It sure is great to see familiar faces here again. Lets work hard to bring our forum back to what it was. Yes, the internet has changed, so much more to do. But to come by twice a day and check in with friends and answer questions for fellow rose growers seems very do-able for all of us. Please, those who just showed up, stick around!
    Carlota

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Just checking back in .--

Florence

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

Well, I am not one of the old regulars on this forum that everyone misses :) but I did just discover it due to Sammy's posting a bit of news on the Antique roses forum.......I think that I, and a lot of other folks just somehow miss the little link to it.

Maybe with a bit more press of this forum, people will come back. Yes, they might be new people (or like me, just new to this forum) but at least they will be posting stuff and keeping it alive!

Lynn

• debnfla8b
    14 years ago

I reckon I'm one of the oldies...LOL

I do pop in and see who all has posted. I should post more...I still grow roses but have neglected them this year because of losing Mama in April. I have just been in a black hole without having her here. I think perhaps I need to crawl out of my hole, quit licking my wounds and just crawl ahead for a while. I never thought Mama would die like she did...just awful.
    I miss all the old rose buds too.
    I hate change. I want things to go back the way they were too...but alas, they never can.

Love to all my old buddies,
    Deb

• duchesse_nalabama
    14 years ago

I am almost never on this particular forum, but it was so nice to read the names of all of those I've missed seeing around. I email with a couple of people but apparently don't know what's going on. I'm with hoovb, glad I don't.

I miss Pete too and Devon always made me laugh. What is the desert?

Joe, how's Edd doing these days? Gean

• jean
    14 years ago

Deb,

If you are old, I am positively ancient. :-)

I don't come here much anymore. The golden days are gone and I can't begin to name all the people I know who have come and gone from this form. I think it's time for a reunion.

Jean

• debnfla8b
    14 years ago

Jean....it is soooooooo nice to see your name again!!!

How is things going with you? Still have all your doggies and did you get finished with you back yard at the new house? I loved seeing pictures of it all.

I have truly missed talking with you.

Deb

• ronda_in_carolina
    14 years ago

This last year has been a whirlwind for me. I miss the forums but have had so little time. My boys are in sports, I am working 2 jobs and completing a masters degree. My garden shows the neglect this year and I get frustrated with myself for not keeping at it as in the past. Things will settle down for me in time and I do hope that when I can visit more I will see my friends still posting. I miss the forums and have been humbled by this visit.

So good to see all the familiar names above!!

Ronda

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

WOW---so nice to see some of the old regulars and also some new names----
    Welcome to all you newbies---this used to be a "jumpin place"--maybe it can be like that again---

Jean---nice to see you posting----I miss all your stories and pictures.

Florence

• jean
    14 years ago

Deb,

I stay slammed with work and rescue. (www.bigfluffydogs.com). Always have dogs. The house is done and I know you will just die, but we are planning to buy acreage and are bidding on land next weekend. I hope all is well and next time I go to the beach, I'll call. We have a house in Carillon.

Ronda - nice to see you.

Florence, nice to see you as well. Nothing new in my life, just work, volunteer work and encroaching old age. :-)

Jean

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    14 years ago

Oh, it's so cool to hear from y'all, even every now and then :)

Deb, I'm so so sorry about your mom! Peace to you, sweetie.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks