Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Dirt' and your larder

Posted by iowa_jade 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 07 at 14:57

I am reading this book about dirt and use of the land bit. It got me to wondering about our food supply and just how long we would last if the electric power went out and we had to live off of our gardens and canned stuff.

Grams always had a fully stocked jar canned everything in her root cellar and would have been good for several years. She also had a huge garden and buried cabbage, carrots and other stuff I can't remember. She had a 12+ acres, a hay loft, 10 head of cows, two pigs, 50+ chickens, and was a pretty self sufficient widow.

My own stockpile:

1) no bottled water
2) 40+ lbs rice
3) 20+ lbs of beans
4) can goods for about three weeks
5) tomatoes, cukes, and eggplant in the garden
6) a lot of rose jam making stuff
7) 100+ of lard that I am wearing (should be good for a month or two)

We have a lot of deer and plentiful waabbit supply. I have several hunting bows and arrows and a wodden Katana (Wonky stick.)

I have fishing rods and the mighty Mudasippi nearby which is just teeming with Asian CARP.

Perhaps I have more of a cushion than my brothers who still live in the NYC area.

How is your larder stocking up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Dirt' and your larder

• Posted by taureau 8B South Louisiana (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 9, 07 at 19:27

What was Hank Jr's song, "Country folk can survive"!

o

• Posted by debn 8b NW Florida (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 9, 07 at 22:32

I live in hurricane alley...I stock pile loads of stuff beginning June 1st!!!

Canned goods
20 lb bag of rice...basmati rice! I could live off of rice I think.
Water...about 10 gallon jugs of it and then the 16 oz bottles of Sams choice...about 8 cartons of it. Of course we drink this everyday regardless of a hurricane.
Toilet Paper...I hoard toilet paper.
Paper towels...same as toilet paper...I hoard it.
Extra cat food
Extra fish food...and distilled water for the fish tanks.

I just read the above and I sound like a nut...LOL

Deb

o

Funny stuff! I used to perpare for hurricanes, but Dh now insists that I evacuate along with his parents, so I don't bother. We will be off to see the rellies up north if a hurricane heads this way. DH will have to work continuous shifts and likely will sleep at the police station - they will be provided for. Last time a hurricane blew this way, he had to go to the top of the harbor bridge to 'observe the conditions'. he hates heights, and said the wind was rocking the bridge like a boat - he observed just fine from the ground!!

o

I don't think I can use leaves for the bathroom stuff! I hoard TP too.
I guess I will join MIL who cans and freezes tons of veggies.

Carla

o

I think a lot has to do if you went through the 30's or not. I was a decade later and I was wondering about what all of the hard work was about when the store was still open.

We live in tornado alley and even had one hop over our house -- too close for me!

I guess I had best stock up on TP also Yuck! Yuck!

I have seen my share of Super Walmarts paving over valuable farmland and sterile soil washing down the Mudassippi.

I am not through the book. I hope it has a good ending.

o

2 cars
credit card

o

Pete wins this competition. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here