Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wave Hill Trip

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 15:30

Got up early went up to Grand Central singing NY State of Mind and took a short 25 minute trip on The Hudson River Line to the Northwest Bronx Wave Hill. It was a country house built in 1843 overlooking The Hudson. It's inhabitants have included Mark Twain, Teddy Roosevelt and Toscannini 28 acres of graded and terraced gardens with beautiful views of the unspoiled New Jersey Palisades. Teddy Roosevelt along with other promminent New Yorkers and The Govenor of New Jersey bought up the land along the River from rock quarries and made it a greenbelt. Theres a stop along the way at the point where Manhattan and The Bronx are seperated called Spuytin Duyvil some say it was because of the whirlpools caused by the meeting of The Harlem and Hudson Rivers, Washington Irving tells it as the Dutch Trupeter who swam the spot when The British were attacking New Amsterdam I took the pick through the rtain window . Ah well hope you enjoy the picks.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here is a link that might be useful: Wave Hill Day Trip

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wave Hill Trip

Joe----the pictures are glorious.

I thought I had answered your post but I don't see it.

What a beautiful view of the river-----

I could be very happy living in that house---

Florence

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 18:52

Your photographs are outstanding, as always.

It seems like I used to read more about Wave Hill when Marco Stufano was hort director, not so much since his retirement. The gardens are an inspiration still.

Thanks for sharing your day!

o

that sounds like a perfect day Joe and the shots are great as always. The house looks so interesting esp after hearing its history.

I think us coming to New York for 2 days was one of the dumbest things we have ever done (should have spent a minimum of a couple of weeks!)

o

I'd never heard of it before; thank you! It looks like a great place to visit. 28 acres of gardens - that'll do it for me even without the history :)

o

Thanks Joe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here