Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squirrel in the House

Posted by jody 7b - NC (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 15:36

We've recently moved from the country to the city - long story. Nice old house, good bones, neglected. Good thing DH can fix things. My MIL loves the place though, her Maj friends and church friends all live within blocks so the place is chockablock full of little old ladies all the time.

DH is in Buffalo taking a turn nursing an Uncle who is recovering from stomach cancer surgery.

The dressing area (mine all mine one of the nice things about this house) had a piece of cardboard taped over a hole in the ceiling (see paragraph first). DH told me it covered an aborted attempt at installing a skylight (skylights all over the top floor).

Woke up in the night to a strange chittering noise and all the fur kids (one dog, three cats) went absolutely bananas as the same time. They quited down, I fell back to sleep, only to have the sequence repeated three more times. It was obvious the fur kids thought there was a beastie of some kind in the master bedroom suite.

When I got up in the morning, I discovered pink insulation all over the floor and the cardboard that had once covered the hole in the ceiling on the floor. Something had obviously entered from the attic.

I woke MIL to tell her (she has the MIL suite downstairs). Just as I got ready to leave, small squirrel comes running by followed by the whole pack of fur kids. Felco (dog) caught it first, flipped it in the air and Baxter (cat) caught it second. At that point, I opened the back door and sent the lot of them outside. In the intervening seconds, Maggie (cat) had somehow gained possesion of the squirrel.

Obviously there is access to the attic from outside somewhere. Foolish little squirrel to tiptoe into a house with a dog and three cats.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squirrel in the House

First of all---congratulations on your new home-----I love old houses ----be careful of the old insulation----
My friend had a squirrel come in through the chimney---they had to hire an exterminator to get rid of it----

Your MIL must be so happy living near her old friends---sounds good to me

Were you able to bring some of your roses with you.

Nice to hear from you.

Florence

o
RE: Squirrel in the House

Does the squirrel have easy access to the roof? My friend has chosen her trees over preventing access to the squirrels. I think they got a roofer to more or less seal acces to the house from the roof.

I don't know about exterminators, but it is a good idea to catch it live inside so that it doesn't stink up the house for months, and require large sections of the wall to be removed and replaced.

Sammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here