Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing Rose Suggestions for Beginner

Posted by jeanineg 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 15:55

There's a solid fence that surrounds my front yard and I'd like to plant climbing roses along two sides of it. One side faces east and the other west. Both sides get sun for half the day approximately. I am in zone 5. Ideally, I'd like a repeat bloomer that's pink or peach. Also, I'm a TOTAL novice. Does this rose exist??? THANK YOU!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing Rose Suggestions for Beginner

Jean, this forum is for off-topic posts, which means for things other than roses. It doesn't get much traffic anymore, so if you repost your question on the other side, the Roses Forum, you will get lots more replies.
BTW, beware of answers from posters in warm parts of the country. Since you want climbers, you'll want to choose a rose that is reliable CANE hardy (not just hardy enough to come back and re-grow after winter knocks it back.) Look at the Canadian Explorer roses like John Davis,

Hosting provided by FotoTime

Capt. Samuel Holland:

or, Marie Victorin for example.

You'll have no problem with them covering your fence year after year. You'll find them hardy and although you may not have constant flowering, you will get good reblooming through the season. Plus there should be no need to spray them for disease. Be ready to give them about 3 years to mature in size - and then enjoy!
Good luck,
Anne

o
RE: Climbing Rose Suggestions for Beginner

Jean--I agree with Anne--it is best to check whether a rose will do well in your Zone----
Anne I love the picture of Anne Victorin and she is good to Zone 3B--
Jean--if you see a picture of a rose you like check with "Help Me Find"--it will give you the zone a rose does well in

Also check the Antique Rose Forum ---they will also help you

Good Luck with your search----

Florence

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here