Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rozannadanna

Now dont fall out of your chair laughing

rozannadanna
16 years ago

BUT I have decided to purchase a bicycle - haven't ridden one in 30 years and was never very good but Denver is so bike friendly and I need the exercise. Thinking about an Electra, lime green with pink tires - very retro looking but nice easy gearing. Also want it to be a ladies bike - the thought of falling off that thing or coming to a quick stop on a man's bike sends chills up my spine. I am only 2 miles from the office and I figure it would be good exercise and probably just as quick as driving - bikes pass me up all the time.

Anyone own an Electra?

Comments (19)

• pete41
    16 years ago

No,but I am a biking nut.
    Do yourself a big favorite and don't settle for anything less than a hybrid.The tires are narrow enough for pleasurable rides of 20 to 30 miles but without the hassle of a skinny tire bike.Get it at a bike shop and let them fit you to one.The biggest mistake 90% of all non-fanatical riders make is riding too low in the saddle.This puts a great deal of stress on both your knees and back.
    If they fit you ,you will feel that your riding way to high and will topple over,but you quickly get use to it.

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pete, the man in my life is a biking nut. Rides his bike everywhere; never drives his car. And he told me the same thing and is taking me shopping and to be fitted. He actually recommended an Electra or a Giant.

• pete41
    16 years ago

Great minds think alike-lol

• User
    16 years ago

Great idea but maybe a checkup first so you don't have any surprises

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Those Electras are so cool!

AND THEY HAVE A MODEL CALLED THE 'PINK FINK'! My last name is FINK! I need one!!!!!

So now you are riding a bike and dating a 'hippy'... You are going to fit right into Colorado Culture. :-) It sounds like you are having a much deserved renaissance.

Cheers,
    Michelle
    (married to a great guy with a ponytail & scruffy beard, myself)

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michelle it has been so long since I have been on a bike I might need training wheels. And as to renaissance, I think I have always wanted to live like this but it wasn't "acceptable". I always said I wasn't a "Hippie in the 60's so I just might be a Hippie in my 60's". Life justs gets better - that is if I don't break my neck without those training wheels.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    16 years ago

I would forget the colors and think practical. I shopped for a bike last year. There were a number of bikes I liked. Eventually, I bought a Schwinn hybrid for about $300. It is very sound mechanically and a joy to ride. All the adjustments are simple and there are many places which service it.

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Rozanne,
    A next step is planning to bike up to Rocky Mountain National Park on a Saturday morning. Just because.
    Ann

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ann, surely you jest?

I am thinking the 3 miles to work and back are plenty good.

• debnfla8b
    16 years ago

Congratulations Rozanna, go for the burn Babe!!! Your life just keeps getting better and better!!!

I have bought several bikes but none feel right. I am 4'11 inches(actually 4'10 and a quarter) but I am having problems finding one that fits my height. I guess I just need to find a bike shop and go from there. Perhaps a little girls bike would fit me better...lol

Deb

• iowa_jade
    16 years ago

My son works weekends in a bike shop. He said: "WE DONT CARRY ELECTRA AS FAR AS I KNOW. THE BIKE IS DECENT, THOSE ROADSTER BIKES ARE COMING BACK INTO STYLE. GOOD FOR EVERYTHING BUT HILLS." (His hills are: Oh MY God! We are all going to die" hills.)

• pagan
    16 years ago

Roz - you go girl! I have no idea what an Elektra is, but a Pink Fink sounds like fun! My bike is a little-old-lady style we call coastal cruisers around here - cannot wait until I can ride again!

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pagan - a little-old-lady style cruser is exactly what I am looking at. I don't want to ride up or down a mountain - just cruise from one place to another near home.

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

Good for you----do it while you are still young enough.

I always loved bike-riding but with all my surgeries the only bike I ride now is an exercise bike-----

I did have a Schwinn with gears---skinny tires---etc---just sold it at our yard sale--

I still have my old ladies bike with nice wide tires----
    Can't bring my self to sell it---hope to one day get back to riding.

You --go ---girl.

Florence

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

I love bike riding. No laughing here--just applause. Enjoy!

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

problem - apparently I need a 24" bike - like finding a needle in a haystack - not many people make one and if they do the ones I have seen don't have gears. Sheesh - don't short women ride bikes with gears?

• rozannadanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got it

http://ridewrc.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=6595

Treck, 21 speed (which I haven't quit figured out yet, 26 inch tires, 14 inch frame - they went all out sizing me. Shock absorbers on the tires and under the seat and IT HAS A COOL BELL. I was forced to buy a helmet - and I will wear it. I am styling - it is soo easy to ride - it's just like riding a bike - you don't forget.

Here is a link that might be useful: my bike

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

OOOOH that looks great-----Plenty of space to jump off if you have too---some are designed that makes it difficult yo get your leg over to get off---I can't really see the size of the seat but make sure it is wide and soft----those skinny seats are a real pain---
    this sure looks neat----

Have a great time--

You said you can ride to work--that is wonderful

Good Luck and have a ball

Florence-

• pagan
    16 years ago

It has a cool bell?? I'll bet that is the best part!! Is it a 'ding ding' or a 'WOO WOO' bell?? I had a small basket put on the front of my bike so I can ride around with my teddy bear for company - and also a water bottle and whatever else I wanted in the basket. Told DH when I get better, he is getting a basket on HIS bike so he can carry the dog when we ride - then the whole family can enjoy an outing!! (The girls likely wouldn't be into it!)