Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

My daughter's cat

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
16 years ago

My daughter's cat weighs 18 pounds, and should weigh 15 pounds or less. The Vet has seen the cat and recommends that she put it on a diet, but my daughter does not care for the recent Vets she has seen, and does not want to buy food from the Vet.

She said she has taken her off of dry food, and gives her no treats. She gets plenty of exercise, but my daughter wants to know how to reduce the amount of food so that it won't hurt the cat. A vet a year ago told her how to do it, but they have moved, and she wants me to ask you.

I think my daughter would like to know what is a reasonable percent to reduce the food daily, and not hurt the cat.

She sent me a picture of the cat, and it is really fat. I don't know how to reproduce it here, and have been rather busy anyway. I think I can copy paste it into our picture file, send it to Picture Trail, then move it here. That is a lot of trouble. Trust me, this is a fat cat. She is an adult and is maybe 6 or 8 years old. She has always been fat.

Do you have any suggestions and do you have any warnings? I only have dogs and they are 78 and 87 pounds, so I cannot relate to her problem. When they gain weight, it is easy to reduce their food.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might be able to come up with in this rather awkward situation.

Thanks.

Sammy

Comments (7)

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

Dear Sammy,
    We are in the process of bringing our 25 lb. cat's weight down. The only way is to feed him like the carnivore he is. That means no dry food. Get the highest protein canned food you can find. 12% is good but a lot of them are 9%. It will be stinky and messy. Our cat now eats 3-4 times a day, when we say so, not self fed. He is a real pain because he LOVES TO EAT! But now he is slimming down, his fur is better, he is running and playing again with our dog, his best pal and for the last year or 2 he could only roll on his back to play. We also play with him every day and brush him also. They cannot clean themselves that well when overweight and that causes problems with their skin. Cats must lose weight gradually. It's not going to be overnight but we are seeing a big improvement. Now he can sit on my lap and not smother me. He seems happier. We learned this not from our vet but the Internet. Many articles by vets on how to do this. Our vet just told us to buy lo cal dry food. It just did not work. You might want to introduce the wet food gradually. It's a change for some cats who are finicky. Not ours. He dove in with gusto.
    Best of luck to you and your daughter and most of all, your kitty.
    Mary

Scooter Before
    {{gwi:206691}}
    Scooter Now (he is not slim yet but isn't he cute?)
    {{gwi:206692}}

• petaloid
    16 years ago

I imagine you meant to post this on the conversations side, or on the Pets Forum, but you will find that a high percentage of rose fanatics are cat lovers.

My cats are on the fat side too, and the vet recommended the switch from dry to wet food, which we are doing gradually.

Your daughter has already switched her cat to wet food, so that's good. I doubt there's any scientific way to decide on percentages for cutting back, but most cat food says on the container how much to feed for the cat's weight.

She could just keep checking how many pounds it weighs and feed a little less than recommended for that weight.

I'm sure some other rose/cat lovers can share some good ideas!

• buford
    16 years ago

I feed my cats Iams canned and they are all slim. They do have a fenced in yard that helps. Fat cats are usually bored and just eat and sleep all day.

Dry food is ok, but has a lot of carb in it. Cats really don't need carbs. The canned food is better. Plus the cats tend to eat the canned food quickly, so you don't have food out all day for them to nibble on.

Don't reduce the food too drastically, or the cat may become ill.

• petaloid
    16 years ago

See? What did I tell you?

While I was typing, peachiekeen beat me to it and posted some great suggestions (Scooter is very cute).

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, I am so sorry. I opened this email to try to get her cat's picture to Picture Trail and print it. I had this open and the Pets Forum open, and I closed the wrong one when I realized I couldn't do it.

I really appreciate your comments, but if you wish in a few minutes I will put this on the Pets Forum where I intended to put it, and you can respond there.

I don't think I can get through to the GW to get them to switch it.

Thanks for your responses, and I will get back to you later.
    Sammy

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Piechiekeen, he sure is cute.
    Petaloid and Buford, thank you for your help. I wonder if one of you contacted GW since they moved the post. It is much better here, and I did get a friendly reminder.

For ages I have thought that they did not watch us that carefully. I guess the title, My Daughter's Cat, didn't sound too rosey.

I had to leave and have not gotten to the Pets Forum yet. Today was my first day of school.
    Thanks for any other suggestions. It is good to know that the food needs to be protein, and that it needs to be reduced slowly.

Sammy

• pagan
    16 years ago

same problem with Max the Moo, best puppy in the world and about 5 pounds overweight! I told the vet that he can hold on until I get all patched up, then both the dog and I will be getting more exericse and eating less. It is hard to make sure he gets enough exercise when *I* can barely move... so our hopes are pinned on next summer! Max will have his Speedo, I'll wear a sting bikini (or maybe a thong!!) and we'll hit the beach, the envy of all we survey!!