Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I miss the old days

Posted by kittymoonbeam so. california (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 07 at 22:15

Remember when you were a kid... you got an earache and they gave you a big nasty shot and you were feeling pretty good lickety split?

My ear was feeling kinda sore and I thought i'd go have it checked out because I'm a wimp when it comes to that kind of pain. The Dr. who was a cheerful young lady gave me some drops and sent me home. That's when the real pain kicked in. The next day I was back and could hardly sit up in the waiting room because of the pain. The second Dr. ( reminded me of House) said the neomycin in the drops had inflamed my ear canal and swelled it shut. So he gave me some new drops and sent me home. I am thinking what?! No friendly shot that used to terrify me as a kid?! How your perception of things change! I guess they don't do that anymore unless you are really really sick. Anyway, now I know what the cruciatus curse feels like. I remember that some of you are living with pain on a regular basis and my thoughts are with all of you as I hide in my bathtub in the dark.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I miss the old days

Ear pain is amazingly painful. I do live with a chronic pain condition and I still remember getting an ear infection at age 18. I thought I was gonna die (but not without doing a lot of screaming first). IIRC they put me on oral antibiotics and decongestants. Did they tell you to take decongestants? I don't know if it's right for all ear problems but I sure remember the Sudafed helping with my ear.

o

Hnag in there kitty! Hope the drops kick in soon - would an ice pack - or a heating pad, help?? When all else fails, alcohol is a friend to chronic pain!

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 7, 07 at 12:43

Kitty, I understand what you're saying. If you went to the doctor sick, they fixed whatever it was - now we wonder if they will even know what to fix. A poke of penicillin, and we'd be sent home with more to swallow, but by the time we got home we were already feeling better from our throat, ear, fever problem.

And what is the deal with common colds these days? It seems like when we were kids, something over the counter (which probably isn't available now whatever it was), warm pajamas, Vicks on your chest, and a cup of tea and you could actually feel cozy, comfortable, and sleep yourself well in a day or so.

I've only had one earache but remember it well, missed a tree planting field trip in junior high :). I hope you feel better soon!

o

Thanks everyone. It is slowly getting better. I miss being out in the garden during this nice weather. My sister is so sweet- she brings the roses in and tells me how great they are. I can see the little flaws and notice that a particular one doesn't have the usual fragrance. She thinks they're all fabulous. I remember there was a time when I was a new gardener and looked at my flowers that way and didn't judge them so severely. I was so happy if they bloomed at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here