Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlota_gw

My kitten is sick...

carlota
14 years ago

Hi All,

My 3 month old kitten Gremlin had a hernated belly button and went in for surgery last week. After he got home his incision became infected then he stopped being able to keep his food down and stopped eating. He's been at the vets every day since the surgery and ended up having to spend 3 nights there. He's home now and the vet says that he's got a chance but its iffy.

He's so sweet and funny. He follows us around like a puppy dog and hates being seperated from a human for more then a minute. He really does look like a gremlin in his own way. Big ears, pointy face and these adorable slanted eyes that make him look like those egyptian statues of cats. He purrs like crazy the minute we touch him and trys to sleep on our pillows.

Our other kittens are seperated from him now but he got two of them sick after he first got home. Aloha (yes, named after the rose for his coloring) and Hobbit are doing ok but are still recovering from being sick. It hit Gremmy harder because he just had surgery.

I really would appreciate any positive thoughts you could send our way. We do get very attached to our little family members.

A big rosy thanks!

Comments (17)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    14 years ago

I wish you and him the very best. If he is following you around, perhaps that is a good sign.

Sammy

• paparoseman
    14 years ago

Carlota, I hope your kitten makes a full recovery. Three months is not a long time for a kitten to live, heres hoping and praying for years and years of life for him.

Your rosy friend.

Lance

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    14 years ago

Poor Gremlin! I hope he fully recovers and quickly, too. He sounds like a very special and lovable character. I think were he here I would have a very hard time getting anything done as I would just want to cuddle and spoil him. Best wishes,
    Anne

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

He'll have a much better chance at home than at the vet's-

Isolation is hard on animals, just like ICU is hard on humans.

& a herniated/infected umbilicus couldn't have gotten the other 2 kittens sick, so try to let them spend as much time together as possible.

I wish you all the best.

• carlota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all! He's happier here at home. Sylvia, I agree that the surgery couldn't get them sick, but we think he brought something home with him. We are letting Momma cat come in when she wants and dote on him. We are now letting him have short play dates with the some of the other kitties now since he started keeping his food down. Thank Goodness! Ironically Gremlin prefers people these days, when another kitten comes inside to play he walks away to us and snuggles up. Definately a people cat.
    Again...thank you!

• anntn6b
    14 years ago

Our Elf cat was abandoned by her feral Mother because Elf had an infected umbilical cord. She was not a tame kitty so we fed her and tried to make friends. She survived. She became slowly more friendly. She has also survived being seriously pecked by a wild turkey. Now she's about 14 and only last year did she decide to become an indoor cat.
    Cats have amazing recuperative powers, they just do it on their own time.

• carlota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dear Rosy Friends,
    We are beginning to be hopefull that Gremlin will pull through. He stopped eating on Saturday and took a turn for the worse. We started using a syringe to get him to drink water and eat nutrical and last night he started eating again. Today he's been eating all day and drinking on his own. Our hopes are up again and we are getting more attached every minute.
    Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts.
    Rosy Smiles,
    Carlota

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

Eating is a very very good sign!

Just keep feeding him a little as often as you can get him to eat voluntarily & be sure to keep him hydrated.

sending all my best thoughts for kitty health & recovery & strength.

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Hope to hear good news about your litle kitty very soon--
    He sounds like a really nice kitten---

Florence

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Hope to hear good news about your litle kitty very soon--
    He sounds like a really nice kitten---

Florence

• carlota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Slyvia, you seem to know alot about kitties, makees me think you might be a vet or a long time cat owner.
    Florence, Thank you for good thoughts for Gremlin.

To all rosy friends,
    Gremlin seems to be stabilized. He's eating regularly and playing again. He has started gaining a little weight, and we are thrilled. He was skin and bones for a while there and we were very concerned. It was close.
    I've broken my own rule about indoor cats, I think he's going to be indoor or mainly indoor for life based on his personality. Because of my allergies, our cats are mainly outdoor cats but he's going to get special treatment. Ironic that he's one of the few I didn't name after a rose!
    I have pictures to post, I just haven't chosen a new host site.
    Thank you all for keeping him and us in your thoughts, knowing friends here were rooting for him helped me through the tough spots.
    Rosy thanks to everyone!
    Carlota

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

Yay!

Yes, I've had kitties forever, love 'em a bunch!

• carlota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

:) I completely understand. We love rescuing animals. Horses, dogs, cats and even reptiles in the past. I've learned alot about their care, but this is/was a first for me. Colic, worms, you name it...I can handle it. We even gave one cat an IV once with the vets teaching. Wish we had been better prepared for this situation. Learned from it, wish Gremlin didn't have to get sick for us to learn about this situation.
    I'm so happy he's feeling better.
    Rosy Smiles,
    Carlota

• paparoseman
    14 years ago

Carlota, I am so glad to read that your kitten is feeling better. I have been pulling for him everyday. All of your loving care must have helped him feel a least a little better while he recovered.

Rosy hug,

Lance

• carlota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gremlin says thank you all for helping him recover. Here's a photo we took a couple weeks ago. I finally choose to use photobucket for now.
    {{gwi:206811}}
    Rosy thanks to everyone!

• petaloid
    14 years ago

Gremlin, you are such a handsome boy. My Jazzpurr, Lulu and Buddy send their best to you -- so happy you are feeling better!

• carlota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gremlin is feeling so much better, but now he thinks he is a house cat that supposed to sleep on my bed! I'm allergic! It's time to take a new photo, he's really grown and is so very playful!