Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moodyblue_gw

I confess!

moodyblue
15 years ago

I went to see Mamma Mia, the movie, four times!!!.........and could go it again!! Bought the CD and I will be glad when I have had enough! Just kidding, I do not think I ever will! LOVED IT!

Pauline - VI

Comments (9)

• Lisa_H OK
    15 years ago

I loved it too! I downloaded the soundtrack to my mp3 player and sang it for days! ....fortunately no one else had to listen to my caterwauling.

Lisa

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

We saw it early on and about fifteen minutes in, DH declared we HAD to have this movie.
    Since then, I've had a minor amusement of watching the staying power of this movie as violent, cartoon and other movies are hyped, come and go. I just sit back and cheer.
    I'm glad we're beyond fragile tapes, as I LUV the number done with the actors in swim fins along the dock.
    (And Pierce Brosnan makes gray hair so very IN.)
    And I wonder if the producers ever had any idea of the potential for making money out of a pleasant little play with old-fashioned songs and actors who people enjoy watching.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holding on at #12 last weekend.

• moodyblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann, you ure amazing with your links on ANYTHING out there. I was fascinated by this one.

Anyway, you hit it, that "frog scene" I call it, was amazing! I loved everything about this move....and the more I watched it, I was fascinated with the young actress who played 'Sophie' - sure hope she is not missed when awards come out. Merrill with her two back-ups Christina B and Julie W. Was amazing. The whole movie was priceless (singing dancing etc.) and hilarious! The music sings out from my brain, even in the middle of the night! heehee!
    Pauline - VI

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

Not at all in the bubbly feel good Mama Mia bit, but interesting in comparison, take a look at Shirley Valentine. I've only seen it once (theater, it doesn't make TV very often), but it's also about a woman's visit to Greece and it has a realistic, but good sigh inducing feel to it.

(I also have a feeling when we start watching it at home that interesing olives and artisan breads will become part of our 'wonder why I want that' subliminal thoughts)

• moodyblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was amazed at how popular Shirley Valentine became - as I was from that area of Britain, I lived across the Mersey and I worked in Liverpool, (It was our main city) but I could definitely relate to her, the accents and the people in the movie, her husband, her spoiled daughter and the overall Liverpool humour which is so unique! Quite typical of the life style and people there!........and BTW, my favourite meal is still Chips'n Egg! heehe! It was brilliant!

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

We need to talk about Chester, which I know better than Liverpool.
    And the Roman Walled city (I worked with a company which had a branch there and got to see Chester in tourist glut as well as off season, when the crumbling blocks were being so skillfully replaced.)
    Mushy peas, anyone?

• moodyblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, finally got back to this was dying to find some pics to scan and here they are.

Roman Wall
    {{gwi:206829}}

Chester's High Street
    {{gwi:206831}}

{{gwi:206833}}

My old stomping grounds for sure. Chester was our capital city and though 15 miles from where we lived, in England that was considered a very long way and a day trip to Chester would be a really big deal. :) These were taken four years ago when I was back home for an extended period when my mum passed away. A friend took me for a drive and it was very nostalgic and of course the city will never change, but the flow of the traffic did for sure. Cars are now people!

I am glad to hear that you experienced Chester Ann - a lovely city, with amazing history.

Yup, I am for mushy pea, with fish and chips, YUM!!!
    Pauline - Vancouver Island

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

Pauline---thanks for these wonderful pictures-----

I have Shirley Valentine on tape and every once in a while I just have to watch it-----It gives me a nice feeling.

I haven't been to the movies for a long time (walking into the theater is a problem) so I haven't seen Mamma Mia but the ads make it look wonderful and I do love the music.

Florence

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

The last time I was in Chester, it was just passing through. It was with our LAST EVER Britrail pass and there was no place to check, store luggage. I had wanted to show DH Chester, but laden with luggage it was a no go.
    Since you've been there recently, is that pizza place still next to the cathedral? And is the worst Chinese restaurant on earth still on the second level of High Street?
    I will always love the entry to the Grosvenor Estate. Folks, you would chuckle. It's a block wide, with excellent, subtle landscaping and a road that goes on forever. And there's no mention of who lives there. (A variation on the "If you have to ask, you can't afford this."...if you needed to know, you'd know.)
    But the roses in Chester. Growing in red clay. Huge blooms mid summer and everyone I asked (and I asked a lot) said they just stuck them in the ground.
    At the time I was gardening in a Texas gray/black gumbo clay and it took gypsum and bushels of rice hulls to make a soil that the roses would tolerate.

There's still no word as to when Mama Mia will come out on DVD, although a date has been announced for Wall-e. Mamma Mia's still in the top 15 and people are going to see it. (And probably going back for the pleasure.)