Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meredith_e

Effing Viva Voces, Love Stinks and general wining ;}

What is the plural of Viva Voce, anyway, anyone?

Ooooh I should've taken Latin because I admit that I can't even pronounce that. I can pronounce sub-fush (:)) but can't spell it... or fuschia, actually, usually. I'm surprized it worked that time.

And yes I still use z's, not zeds or s's, and I'm not in the mood to bother translating anything at the moment. Latin especially. And Irish just irritates me. There, I said it. It doesn't usually, though.

Being "viva'ed" is no fun, and in my case it may or may not happen and this possible un-happening may be (or not) in December OR August. The Chairman will decide one day that remains undisclosed. Write pseudocode for that [wearing fuschia pants because I said so]. Not that kind of pants... nevermind.

Does UsAir take frequent flyer miles for Sometime-In-December-or-Next-August flights?

So will I visit MFIrishman in December? Will he e-mail me back before then? (does my e-mail even work?) Will the e-mailing Zimbabweean [if they are called that] take the lead instead? I'd prefer it the other way 'round but you aren't allowed to say that in these things, of course.

Will I go on to Module 2? Does my insurance let Plastic Surgeons do aesthetically frightening boobage procedures so the scarring doesn't scare off errant Zimbabweeans or Irishmen? And that's all theoretical, of course and in no way may indicate that I'm a slapper. Don't look that up, or else never remind me that I said it.

;)

Oh, I'll do fine. Let me know where to buy fashionable Sub Fusc and whether I can wear 3 inch heels with it and I'll be just peachy.

Rant a bit if you like here; don't bother making sense as it works better that way [the fates don't know what you are referring to!]! :) :)

Or not and just ignore me, but I feel better getting it out :)

Comments (11)

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Um that's whine. I was trying not to say whinge and overcorrected. Somebody here will understand, I know :) The Pond and all that...

• kathy9norcal
    16 years ago

Have I been away from these forums for so long, I can't even understand the language spoken here? Oh well, back to emusic.
    Kathy

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

Mere - I'm not getting it either. Am I having a slow day, or what?

Viva voce - of living voice. Then other than you need something, I'm completely lost and rather than sound unsympathetic, I'll tell you that. :)

• ledaanne
    16 years ago

Sweety, did you take too much medicine???

Original Author
    16 years ago

Bwahaha! Sorry, just a frustrated ramble. And a silly mood about it ;) The Fates sent a tornado today, so they understood it after all, darnit.

I will probably be summoned to what Oxford calls a Viva Voce, [where you have to wear Sub Fusc academic dress, but that's not the big deal]. I will have to argue my knowledge of the past year's work. Generally just an oral exam, but more intimidating because of having to stand in front of a Committee of sorts and be asked anything.

The school can't tell me when or whether this will take place yet. Either December or next August!! That makes planning difficult.

They won't tell me whther I am going on to the next year of the course yet, and it starts in early October!

It may be because I'm borderline Honours and need to makeup one part. So the Viva could mean Honours in the end, so that could be very good.

For the rest of the equation, I really wish I knew whether I'm going to Ireland in December! I won't be going over at all if the school doesn't need me to. I have an Irishman that I want to see.

Nevermind the Zimbabweean ;)

And I have a surgery coming up with its own hoops and hurdles to arrange with insurance, etc.

That's about it ;) After today's tornado locally, I feel safe in explaining :)

Oh z's and zeds, pants and whinge, etc are just symbolic of the amusing yet at times frustrating differences in English among the US, UK, Ireland and Zimbabwee English. Lots of confusion for a shared language!! Hard to grasp the subtleties like you can in local correspondence! eg "Now when you call me luv you mean....?" but obviously you don't ask folks that ;]

Original Author
    16 years ago

Good to see all of y'all, BTW :) Don't let me run you off :)

• labrea_gw
    16 years ago

The plura of viva is vivaria

• moodyblue
    16 years ago

Mere, I think I understood all that you were talking about, especially the second time around,:) but what does Zimbabwee have to do with it. Oh, now I see, "Nevermind Zimbabweean" - Awright then! :)
    You must feel that you are dangling from a string Oxford wise, but I am sure it all will turn out. Good luck kiddo!
    ....and hope it turns out well with you Irishman!
    Hugs,
    Pauline - Vancouver Island

Original Author
    16 years ago

THANK YOU JOE. Now I can sleep ;)

Pauline, you are so sweet. I thought you might understand some of those terms. Where in the UK are you from, or tell us sometime.

The Zimbabweean is a classmate that I've been e-mailing back since we all met this summer. But never mind the Zimbabweean, I think :)

I'll feel better when I can make plans... :)

• carla17
    16 years ago

Meredith, I couldn't understand much either, sorry. If there's a post I can't relate to I go away.

Carla

Original Author
    16 years ago

Hugs, Carla, and that's totally understood ) Just a silly silly post. It takes the place of naked primal screaming in the backyard when the weather's not right for that ;)