Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fire prevention

Posted by carla17 Z7 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 07 at 8:18

The original message was written by a lady whose brother
and his wife learned a hard lesson this past week.

Their house
burned down... nothing left but ashes.

They have good insurance so the house will be replaced with most of the contents -- that is the
good news.
However, they were sick when they found out the cause of the fire.

The insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several
hours.
He had the cause of the fire traced to the master bathroom.

He asked her sister-in-law what she had plugged in the bathroom.

She listed the normal things....curling iron, blow dryer. He kept saying
to her, "No, this would be something that would disintegrate at high temperatures."

Then her sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade Plug-In, in the bathroom.
The investigator said that was the cause of the fire.

He said he
has seen more house fires started with the plug-in type room fresheners than anything else.

He said the plastic they are made
from is THIN plastic. He also said that in every case there was nothing left to prove that it even existed.

When the investigator
looked in the wall plug, sure enough the two prongs left from the plug-in were still in there.

Her sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that had a small night light built in it.

She said she had noticed that the light would dim
and then finally go out.

She would walk in to the bathroom a few
hours later, and the light would be back on again The investigator
said that it was getting too hot, and would dim and go out rather than just blow the light bulb.

Once it cooled down it would come
back on. That is a warning sign The investigator said he
personally wouldn't have any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere and his house.

He has seen too many places that have been
burned down due to them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fire prevention

Sorry Carla but this is a hoax. The Urban Legend site has a complete writeup chieck it out here...
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/glade.asp

o

WHY do so called friends send me this???

Susanna, sounded good to me

o

Carla, I too had so called friends send me these things until I told them they had to look on snopes.com before sending the email on or they were off my email. :) Seems to have worked I haven't seen too many lately. Also, most of these start with a friend of a friend...that way it sounds like you know them and yes most sound plausible but I look at snopes just the same. :)

Hope you are doing well!

o

Carla, please do not let it bother you, what comes across is your concern for others and that is very much appreciated. I am glad it is a hoax though, cos I admit I use them sometimes. There is one called Fresh Linen and I love that one.:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here