Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It took a civil war reenactment....

Posted by anntn6b z6b TN (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 07 at 9:51

Many of you know of my fight to educate to slow the spread of Rose Rosette Disease. Some may even remember when we first saw it in this part of the country in a large rose garden at LMU in Harrogate TN. That rose garden is gone after major losses to RRD. The U never was willing to bushhog the multiflora in abandoned fields upwind of the garden.
I just saw pictures of a civil war reenactment at LMU that was done this weekend. All the fields are bushhogged. Including the ones with massive RRD infected R. multiflora.
So, it took a reenactment....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It took a civil war reenactment....

Ann, that's cool. History is still important, in more ways than one. :-)

I find multiflora coming up far away from where it was planted. I have this theory about birds eating seeds from the hips and "depositing" the seeds via droppings. Looks like it takes no effort at all to get multiflora seeds to germinate in the most unlikely places, like through cracks in the sidewalk. Since I live at the family home, I know there has never been any multiflora planted there, yet there was a multiflora seedling coming up through a crack in the sidewalk. Incredible.

o

When the USDA was considering encouraging farmers to plant multiflora as a substitute for barbed wire, they fed multiflora seeds to chickens and found that what came through....didn't germinate. From that the USDA decided that multiflora wouldn't be invasive.
They forgot that chickens have gizzards with small rocks for grinding up seeds; robins and bluejays and many, many other wild birds don't have gizzards.
Thus a pest was born.
In the 30s, farmers could buy starts of multiflora by the hundreds. And those hedges begat more multiflora. Birds did it, but only after farmers were encouraged to use multiflora for hedges, miners were encouraged to use multiflora to stabilize mined slopes, soil reclamation folks were encouraged to use multiflora to combat erosion and to stabilize creek banks.

o

Interesting Ann. I didn't realize that not every bird has a gizzard. And when I was a kid we raised lots of chickens, ducks, and geese.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here