Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

Running/walking shoes

carla17
17 years ago

The foot doctor told me that New Balance don't roll. He recommended Saucony. I've worn Saucony before. Anyone want to chime in.

Carla

Comments (17)

• msjam2
    17 years ago

When I'm not sure about my next sneakers, I usually use zappos dot com and read the reviews there. I have new balance and it's okay, not the best but it's comfortable.

• orchids2000
    17 years ago

Not sure what he means by "don't roll" as NB works really well for me, I hated my Sauconys. Another brand that I like are Montrails. The problem with shoe brands and type is each one addresses different needs and so what works great for one person doesn't work well for another. In our area there are two shops that have worked with the local podiatrists and know how to match a shoe to the individual. They can take your old shoe and look at them to see how they are wearing, then they will select several shoes that will meet your needs and if you over pronate or supinate they will let you know that and if you need to get with a doctor to have orthotics made. Food for thought as you may have an athletic shoe store company in the area that provides this type of service. Generally they are independent and your doctor might know of who they are.

• tandaina
    17 years ago

Best running shoes you can buy according to my former Cross Country sister are Aesics (sp?). Just make sure that if you are running you buy a running shoe and if you are walking you buy a walking shoe. They are different beasts and never the two should meet. You can fudge a bit with a cross trainer but if you are running you really need a running shoe.

• kathwhit
    17 years ago

I love my Sauconys. They come in widths, but the normal width is just right for me. I order two or three syles from Zappo's and keep the one I want and send the others back. Zappos is the best shoe store in the world--free shipping and great prices. I only buy shoes from them anymore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zappos

• cecily
    17 years ago

Call Road Runner Sports (800-551-5558) and describe the wear pattern on your old shoes. They carry many brands/models and can recommend a new shoe. If you're not pleased with your new shoes, send them back. Road Runner also has a website roadrunnersports.com.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    17 years ago

I also use Zappos, but like Online Shoes as well.

My favorites are Asics too. I need to buy shoes that have the gray on the inside between the heel and the arch. That means that they are a little built up, they keep you from rolling towards the center, and force your foot to roll off on your little toe rather than your big one.

Running shoes are built to withstand pressure on the arch. Walking shoes are built for pressure on the heel. If you buy running shoes, yet mainly walk, you are not getting the support you need as a walker.

I need a high toe bridge, and put in my own inserts. New Balance doesn't have a high enough toe bridge for me.

Sammy

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Here's another to consider (or at least try on next time in Nordstrom)...Brooks. Brooks 'Trance' is one I especially like.

You already know I don't run, but gel for shock absorbing, good arch support...and here's the catch, a little wider toe box. My foot isn't wide, but the left will still swell a bit in warmest weather and these stay comfy....

I'm not sure how a foot doctor would rate them, but I love 'em :)

Funny side bar....I had been in Portland running errands with my SIL all day, some upscale places, and I was feeling just too cool. You know, one of those days when the makeup works, hair is right, you're feeling great and getting things accomplished. Wearing not-too-casual but knit pants and top, my Brooks. Rejoined Andy at the hotel later that night, started to get ready for bed, realized one blue and white Brooks, one white and yellow - I'd been too busy to notice my feet. Sheesh...and I had a matching pair at home in my closet ! Thank God I had sandals in my suitcase for the next day....

• mjsee
    17 years ago

I love my Merrels! (Chameleon II.) Of course, I add orthotic inserts...

melanie

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    17 years ago

What a funny shoe thing, Morz. Thanks for sharing. That would be so easy to do. Once you get a brand you like, you would just grab.

• cbarkston
    17 years ago

I went in to the local ARch Fitters to try on a pair of Brooks athletic shoes. The manager of the store measured my foot and watched me walk. Proceeded to tell me that my feet roll inward and my right arch flattens 2 sizes and my left arch flattens 3 sizes. He said I need 3 sets of custom orthotics (1 for athletic shoes, 1 for casual shoes, and 1 for dressy shoes) at $280 a pop, plus the Brooks for $120. He made me feel like I'm a medical wreck! I told him that before I invested in $1000 worth of orthotics and shoes, I would need to have a doctors referral and "prescription". He said "Fine, but then you'll have to pay for the office call." He insissted that he has a medical background and that he's the warehouse and I'd be paying a middle man for what I could buy from him direct. Needless to say, I left without buying anything.

• peachiekean
    17 years ago

I just replaced a pair of Brooks that I purchased from a store that specializes in just what the previous thread talked about. The shoes were $120 and felt good with my orthotics but my heel wore holes at the back of the shoe inside. So this time I tried a less expensive pair of Asics Gel Kayanos from Online Shoes. (I loved my Gel Nimbus runners.) Anyway, I wore them yesterday and was not even aware of them until I took them off in the afternoon after working. To me it's a good pair when you don't even think about them when they are on.

• msjam2
    17 years ago

Have tried Mizuno shoes? I love mine, very comfy.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

rosewest, that doesn't sound unreasonable, I was quoted $400 for one pair of orthotics by a Dr.

• carla17
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Diane, that is the right price range for orthotics from my experience and from friends.

Carla

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

Those of you with orthotics, do you find any brand better for not getting indented? I waste more money on sneaks every year due to the orthotics caving them in.

New Balances haven't felt comfortable lately, need a new brand

• farmgirl
    16 years ago

From the collection of shoe boxes in my closet, I've tried more brands of sneaks than I want to admit. I supinate, have a wide forefoot, narrow heel, high arches, hammer toes and residual nerve damage left by the RSDS following bunion surgery on the right foot. I've concluded that New Balance are the ones for me. When the original liner/arch supports start to break down, I remove them and use semi-rigid arch supports. I tried orthotics but they shifted my balance to where my hips were out of alignment, caused back spasms and more trips to the chiropractor than the orthotics were worth. I was told that most athletic shoes are made for people who pronate so the shoes are more apt to aggrevate supination unless the wearer compensates for it. The most comfortable pair of shoes I own are hiking boots that lace up past the ankles to give them support.

Carol

• carla17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, an old post. I almost missed it.
    Thank you Claudia. Nice to hear from you.
    Carol, I like New Balance pretty good.

Carla