Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No trip to Ireland this X-mas, but no Viva Voce

Posted by meredith_e 7B Piedmont NC (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 07 at 11:28

Just an update for anyone curious...

I do NOT have to have a Viva Voce at school [yeah!] They submitted my other work to the Chairman and I was deemed good to move on without making up the part I missed based on my other work :) :) So I am still with the same group and won't be required to wait for anything.

That is excellent :) Honours is screwed, but there's always this coming year for that.

But I give the decision a huge FAIL in that I won't need to go over between now and next August. No Ireland!

I think I'm going to wail and whine and generally walk around muttering 'but the plans were so great.... I wanna go to Eiii-yer-laaaaand!' and basically be inconsolable on that point ;)

[Another friend from school and I considered having her call Dad saying she's from the school and that I do need to come over after all, but we decided that that's a bit Lucy and Ethel for even us ;]

Meanwhile I like Irish again and am hearing enough to be a very happy little obnoxious Yank, so that's very good.

So this concludes our World-O-Meredith update... we thank you for your patience... ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No trip to Ireland this X-mas, but no Viva Voce

My dearest Mereford,

I had to go looking for this--so you better be grateful!!!

He was passing with his fellow students, but his unimpressive study habits gave him a final examination score on the borderline between first and second class honours, making an "oral examination" necessary. Berman said of the oral examination, "And of course the examiners then were intelligent enough to realize they were talking to someone far more clever than most of themselves. (Stephen Hawking at Oxford)

o
RE: No trip to Ireland this X-mas, but no Viva Voce

Sweetest Michael,

THAT is hilarious. And I do thank you for finding it!

I was floored to learn how down-to-earth the professors, etc are, BTW. Even the brilliant ones ;>

My High School boyfriends' mothers had WAY bigger chips on their shoulders [I grew up in Faux-LockJawFroufrou Land you might remember]... 'course I was a Suicide Blonde Goth Babe, but that's beside the point [only half-kidding there, frighteningly;]!

Actually I'm kind of nutty now [obviously], and even at Oxford. Don't know if there are nuttier in my group but it doesn't seem to bother most of the folks :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here