Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hidden Gems on TV

Posted by anntn6b z6b TN (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 07 at 12:44

Sometimes, rarely, local TV news has hidden gems.
When the weatherman standing in front of a map of Tennessee, points to North Carolina and burbles "and to our west".
Today was such a moment. A pre-recorded 'cooking' segment in which the cook assembled pre-prepared ingredients, chatting as he went. Except it was done out of doors, on a sunny day, at the fair. The all purpose fair which includes livestock and all things associated with livestock.
As our intrepid cook opened the containers of ingredients, the flies started assembling. As he mixed, my eyes were glued to the set, would he incorporate that pesky fly (which he was ignoring) into the chicken salad? Add mayo..now there are two flies flirting on the opened can of crushed pineapple. Put the grapes in, there goes a fly, flying by.
Whups, what's that black ingredient that just got folded in?
And the episode was recorded on a sunny day with shadows playing havoc for the cameraman. Today, a light drizzle.
So, the lessons learned today if you want to be a talking head on TV.
1) Ignore flies.
2) Pretend that prerecorded feeds are live, even when the weather doesn't match.
3) Don't cook at a xxxx and livestock show.
4) Be careful what you eat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hidden Gems on TV

What I love is when the local talking heads are called so kind,compassionate and caring.
Why? Because they look so kind,compassionate and caring as they sit there reading the monitor.
It amazes me how people judge those things.
Not on what you do but how you look and sound.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 13, 07 at 16:41

Reminds me of one of the Indiana Jones movies, the Nazi is talking away with a fly crawling on his face, and then the fly crawls into his mouth. At least I think it was an Indiana Jones movie. I'm pretty sure it was a Nazi. Anyone else remember that scene?

o

Yep a fly crawls into Belloq's mouth!

o

I can picture the fair now - and even smell it!! It takes a strong stomach to eat at ours due to what you have described and the requisite livestock odor.

My favorite local news segment was when the anchor broke down in crying fits of laughter trying to report on a dead whale being blown up on the coast. They try to hard to be professional here and rarely succeed, so it was great fun to see them finally throw it all out the window!

o

If this seems funny, you would also love the Richard Simmons video on YouTube. He is doing a cooking demonstration on a product he is promoting, I believe, and his cooking product catches on fire. It is truly hilarious.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here