Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Swine Flu

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
14 years ago

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned it yet. The teacher next door (at school) and the principal went home sick. I think about 40 kids have had it so far, and many more were gone today.

Lucky for us that the vaccine will be ready in a month!!! Sarcasm isn't nice is it?

Sammy

Comments (13)

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

some professionals are advising against the shot---

what have you heard about this????

Florence

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The woman next door said she was too late for the test to work, but the doctor said she has all the symptoms of the swine flu. Today our nurse was really sick , too.

I think that by the time the swine flu vaccine is ready, most people will have had the flu.

Sammy

• debnfla8b
    14 years ago

We don't have many cases of swine flu here...thank goodness! I am so careful when going out in the public now a days. I use a lot of the hand sanitizers, wipe the buggy handles off with it in the grocery stores.
    I haven't been sick with a cold for a long time...knock on wood!!!

Deb

• mendocino_rose
    14 years ago

My husband is a nurse. A few weeks ago he took care of someone who they later found out to have swine flu. He was offered a vaccine but refused. I think it was just the tamiflu and not the one coming out. He's still susspicious about it.

• debnfla8b
    14 years ago

So, is the shot for swine flu dangerous? Does it make you sick?

Deb

• mendocino_rose
    14 years ago

I think the problem is that we just don't know much about it yet. I haven't heard about it making anyone sick. He just felt at the time that he didn't want to take the risk of tamiflu and that it wasn't sure that it prevented Swine Flu anyway.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have 5 classes, and one class had 7 students ill. Each class had quite a few, but 7 out of 25 is too many.

I hope none of you get it. My friend from next door is still running a fever. She began running a fever last Sat.

Sammy

• Terry Crawford
    14 years ago

My daughter teaches 2-8 grades in Gibson City, IL and I worry about her. She lives in Bloomington and it was reported last week that 29 students at ISU there have the swine flu. Her best friend teaches in Brazil and the president of Brazil delayed the start of school 3 weeks until the end of August due to the rash of swine flu there.

I'm also very concerned about my 7-year old grandson, who has a liver transplant 2 years ago and had lymphoma last June and subsequent chemo last summer....he has absolutely no immune system. He is very suspectible to every germ that comes along and can get extremely sick within hours.
    -terry

• carla17
    14 years ago

Sammy, you know this is not personal. But swine is such a horribly ugly word. The term is H1N1. I had to take my daughter to ER this week as all the urgent cares were closed. They diagnosed her with H1N1. This diagnosis because this is not the typical flu season they said. Starts off with very bad cough, chills, aches. They gave her tamiflu. Also some other tests but did take chest xray.
    Thurs. I start the same symptoms and take some of her Tamiflu. Fri. I go to dr. Dr. tells me I have bronchitis. She has report from my daughter's xray too, saying it looks like bronchitis. She gives me antibiotics and cough syrup.
    Came home and called Hosp. to find out their response to the results of daughter's xray. They tell me it looks viral. Daughter goes to same doc as me later Fri. afternoon. Dr. now has full report from hospital saying flu. Now wonder if I had gone after daughter's report would the doc have given me tamiflu to prevent? Who knows.
    Sat. I go to urgent care for flu test. Flu test negative but gives me Relenza, a drug that has been off the market but is good for type A and B flu. Also gives me more antibiotics and Tessalon perle, coughing pill.
    I am taking the first antibiotic because I don't want to get pnuemonia. You must stay on top of your own healthcare. Healthcare workers are only human.
    Terry, you should be worried. Whatever we've had, it kicks your but. But it doesn't last very long. Doctors should tell everyone to cough into their arms at elbow and wash hands!
    Everyone stay well, it's so early for so much flu.
    Carla

• kathwhit
    14 years ago

We are on high alert here in Oregon. I am a school counselor at a middle school and an elementary school, so I am washing my hands like crazy. They say the vaccine should be ready by Oct. and that it works well and quickly. I for one will be the first one in line. I hate to be sick.
    Kathy

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Terryjean, I can certainly understand your worry about that little grandson.

Carla, here everyone says swine flu, just like they did when it went around 30 years ago. I am afraid to say H1N1 because a slight confusion in those letters is something else.

My friend next door came back today, and when I started to go into my classroom, one of her students started throwing up in the waste basket.

Most of my students were back today, but they didn't look good.

On TV they say the shots will be ready the middle of Oct. I probably will do what the CDC says to do. My friend had a fever for about 7 days or more. THat is a long time.

Sammy

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    14 years ago

I hope everyone feels better and makes it nicely through the flu season. I'm disappointed that the vaccine isn't available now. The more folks immunized, the safer at-risk people will be.

I had swine flu this late spring. I did fine, but it feels awful. I'm actually glad now that I had it and it's over with for me. I'd get the shot otherwise!

My fingers are crossed for everyone.

• athenainwi
    14 years ago

There was a student at the university who said she had H1N1 in the spring and she has it again now. A lot of the university kids have been getting sick with it. The student that works in my lab had it over labor day weekend. Luckily the rest of the lab didn't get sick. The football team had a bunch of sick players too. I'm hoping to get the vaccine as soon as it comes out since I work at the hospital, but I'm worried that I'll catch it before then. They lifted the doctor's note requirements at the university since they don't want the people with H1N1 to go to the doctor and get them sick.