Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moodyblue_gw

To cheer up the winter blues for a minute!

moodyblue
17 years ago

I spend almost as much time on my geraniums as I do my roses - some of my older 20 yr old ones were composted this fall because of their size - Maybe that's what gave me the blues.LOL

{{gwi:207946}}

{{gwi:207947}}

{{gwi:207948}}

{{gwi:207949}}

{{gwi:207950}}

Comments (25)

• carla17
    17 years ago

I can see why you love them, they're so pretty. I love your arbor too. Geraniums can fry here in the heat. Your garden is lovely.

Carla

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

WOW--Pauline-
    WHAT A TREAT----- to see these pictures first thing this morning !!!!!!!!!

Your home and gardens should be in House Beautiful and Better Homes and Gardens.

Your flowers are amazing.

I would love to take a leisurely stroll through all that beauty.

Thanks for sharing,

Florence!

• joan_ontheprairie
    17 years ago

WOW, Pauline, absolutely amazing. Thank you for this treat!

• msjam2
    17 years ago

One word, WOW!

• orchids2000
    17 years ago

Pauline, this so reminds me of my visit to Victoria, BC 10 years ago. Flowers everywhere and the cool thing is everything we grow here only bigger. :)

• iowa_jade
    17 years ago

Very pleasing to they eye.

Thanks!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

All it needs is a little color...

Of course, just kidding! Beautiful. Fantastic. WOW! WOW! And WOW!

Major house envy here.

• moodyblue
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I just woke up, grabbed my coffee, turned the computer on and saw your nice comments. I am very touched, brought tears to my eyes. :)
    Our home was a bed and breakfast for years - we retired it two years' ago - and I have to admit, I am missing all the "Oohs and Aah"s - teehee! I am having a real lull, have so much to do and do not know where to start, so not really doing anything - you are an encouraging bunch, and somebody once said that you should look at it this way, Think that you are not preparing everything for the Winter, but you are getting ready for the new season, the "Spring" - so when you are planting bulbs and cleaning up the mess, lifting begonias, geraniums, etc. when everything seems so daunting, think ahead at the wonderful Spring you are going to have in the garden!

• kathwhit
    17 years ago

Pauline, your garden is just stunning. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures. They brought color and light to an otherwise cold and dreary day.
    Love,
    Kathy

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Moody, that's so funny, I looked at your pictures and thought 'that could be a very special bed and breakfast'.

I'm totally jealous, having the want-a-new-house-blues this year; yours is so beautiful.

Are you just north of me then? My geraniums winter over in 24" terra cotta on a semi-protected porch for average of about 5 years, then I lose them to that odd harsh freeze that we occasionally can have.

Thanks for sharing all that color on a gray and damp morning!

• onewheeler
    17 years ago

Oh what a lovely yard and garden you have, it is beautiful, I just love how you have it all arranged.

I like that way of thinking, getting things ready for spring rather than putting it to bed for winter, yup, I am gonna start saying that too.

Thanks for the pics, they were beautiful.

Valerie

• mudbugs
    17 years ago

Wow. That is all I can say. Everything is brown here. What a beautiful, beautiful place. wow.

• starshadow
    17 years ago

stunning array of color--and all so perfectly kept--lots of hard work to keep that level of grooming---

geraniums don't do well in the warm humid deep south--I kept a few for years, but finally composted them after Katrina--

thanks for the eye candy

• kathy9norcal
    17 years ago

Wow, that is amazing. I never liked geraniums, always felt they were gaudy like costume jewelery. But yours make me rethink that old notion. Yours look fantasic. You sure know what to do with geraniums. Thanks for showing them to us!
    Kathy

• User
    17 years ago

WOW nice garden

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    17 years ago

Fantastic. I bet it was a *very* popular B&B...how wonderful it would have been to be surrounded by all that beauty - and not have to work at it, LOL! Thanks so much for posting your pictures and reminding us that the garden's winter sleep is just a prelude to spring.

Anne

• moodyblue
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks again for the later comments - they were a treat to read. It was fun with the B&B guests, because they always seemed happy as soon as we opened the front door to them -delighted looks on their faces and great comments right away which would bring smiles and laughter to our faces in return.

• msrose
    17 years ago

I don't visit this forum as much as the rose forum so I'm just now seeing this post and I have to say that you have the "dream" garden that everyone hopes for. What are the white flowering trees that you have? Are those geraniums also?

Laurie

• moodyblue
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Laurie. The white trees are "Pearl Meidland" high standard (tree)roses. They can remain in our front garden as the deer cannot quite reach them, so that is a good thing! :) I had a lot of roses in that front garden, but waste of time because of the deer. Though I did keep them at bay for a long time by egg spraying the roses, but it was a lot of work every 5/6 days and I finally gave up. We now have a deer fence around the back, so hopefully
    this next year, my roses will start to be healthy again.
    Pauline - Vancouver Island

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    17 years ago

Your home and garden are absolutely beautiful. I try to grow geraniums, but the little flowerettes don't seem to grow at the same speed on an individual flower so they always seem lopsided. After having seen yours, I think I need to try again.

Your use of pots is also quite lovely. Your home is stunning.

Thanks for sharing.
    Sammy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    17 years ago

All I can do is repeat what the others said: WOW WOW WOW.

I see I have seriously underestimated geranium power. Maybe I need to take them more seriously next summer. Hmmmm.

: )

Kate

• sam0738
    17 years ago

I Just wanted to bump this up. :)

• moodyblue
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just noticed this, Sam, that is so sweet of you. Though for this year/season, there is another story behind it all.! I cannot talk about it now, but I did nearly loose them all after nearly thirty years of nurturing. But we will see how many did survive - if I get half of them, I will be happy! Thanks, Sam

Pauline V.I.

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

I love geraniums. Every year I can't resist picking up a few.

Your garden is awesome. Reminds me of the way I garden with the mix of bright colors.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

My goodness Pauline your very talented with gardening. Your pictures are always amazing. I know this is an old post but I wanted to see some of your pictures. Just gorgeous as always. Ok gonna go check out a few more of your post. Thanks for inspiring us to have beautiful gardens. Judy

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022