Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee not soap

Posted by sammy OK/7A (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 30, 06 at 7:22

I drink my morning coffee from a plastic mug with a lid. Once a week I run it through the dishwasher, and the rest of the week, I just rinse it. I don't put sugar or anything in it, and this seems perfectly sanitary.

The day after it goes through the dishwasher, I taste the soap. How do you clean them, and keep them from having the soapy taste? I drink form those mugs that you can get from Barnes and Noble. I also take one to school, and might have the same experience in school. I am not sure whether the soapy taste is from the mug or the lid.

How do you clean them? I wonder about soaking them in vinegar or some product that would help me avoid the soapy taste.

Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee not soap

Don't use the dishwasher? I don't even OWN a dishwasher. I don't like the residues they leave on dishes and none of my dishes are dishwasher safe anyway.

My coffee mug at work is one of those insulated cups with the "travel" lid. I just pop the lid off and wash it with a soapy sponge. Then rinse, never a soapy taste left. I do wash mine every day though when I switch from my morning warm beverage to my afternoon water.

o

I just avoid washing it at all. All natural. Hell, the coffee they make in this office will kill any germs which remain. It also dissolves any insects which wandered into my cup overnight.

o

Yes, I agree, hand wash your coffee mug, it shouldn't take but a minute to wash it out with a soapy sponge (or paper towel) and rinse it thoroughly.

o

I have several Starbucks mugs and I lay mine down in the top rack once in a while. Never had that problem with soapy taste. Maybe a seal is broken or there is a leak somewhere on your cup. Otherwise, I handwash mine with a brush and hot soapy water. I drink my water from the poisonous plastic bottles. I also chew on plastic straws so I guess I'm doomed.

Carla

o

• Posted by roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 31, 06 at 8:54

Find a metal mug. It's probably the plastic clinging on to the soap

o

Paper towels leave a residue also. I prefer clean water and my pristine fingers to get the crusty bits out. Air dried mug of course!
It is also a good way of getting the dirt out from underneath ones fingernails, especially the stubborn dirt.
I agree that coffee is a great de-bugger and anti-bacterial agent.
Fair trade coffee is much better than the stuff usually offered- give it a try.

o

Do your other dishes taste soapy after they've been through the dishwasher?

If they do,it's the dishwasher, the water, or the detergent, not the mug.

If they don't, just handwash the mug with soap & water as recommended above.

Did you know you can freshen your coffeemaker by "brewing" a mixture of vinegar & water?

Discard (or compost) the vinegary water & brew a 2nd pot, using plain water, before you make coffee.

o

Use baking soda to clean it! It's the miracle stuff for cleaning tea and coffee mugs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here