Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diane_nj

Recent concert/live performance?

diane_nj 6b/7a
17 years ago

I went to see Emmylou Harris last night. EXCELLENT! Emmylou and three other musicians, two of them women, excellent playing and singing. I am happy that I decided to go, since I skipped seeing Cyndi Lauper earlier in the year (stupid). Another one of the beautiful voices to check off my list to see live.

Any one else been to a great concert/performance recently?

Comments (30)

• orchids2000
    17 years ago

Cowboy Mouth - One BIG party with great songs- this is a New Orleans band and they expect energy from the crowds so expect Fred to keep everyone going for the entire performance. "I can't hear you" :)

Lemonheads - Yea they have a new album and a really fun band to hear live. Not as high energy as Cowboy Mouth but do an awesome job.

Then again we live in music void so when we get decent rock acts that aren't overpriced I'm there. If you LOVE COUNTRY, BO or REUBEN you can catch them here easily.

• catkim
    17 years ago

I think I own all her albums, I can't get enough of her voice and music.

I went to a concert last Friday, a CD release for my former violin instructor. He plays electric violin with effects, then there is a superb guitarist, bassist, and drums. They play old celtic tunes and pull them forward into the 21st century, it's really cool. They are strictly local, but the name of the group is Keltic Karma.

• debrazone9socal
    17 years ago

This was a big concert-going year for us, and the fun continues! We usually go to jazz at the Hollywood Bowl. We go to lots of free concerts with local bands, alternative music, etc. (lots of those opportunities here). I also love classical music, but DH hates it. This year we did the following:

Crosby, Stills, Nash AND YOUNG!!! It was the Freedom of Speech tour. We saw them at the Bowl, box seats third row from the front. Definitely one of the best concerts I have ever been to; can't say enough about it or them!

The very next night, as a birthday present for my 8 year old daughter, I drove her down to Orange County and took her to see Kelly Clarkson. Definitely a different crowd than CSN&Y!! But although KC is associated in my own mind with teenybopper music, she is really, really talented. She did some music from a pre-Idol album, all blues and it was wonderful. A delightful surprise.

Paul Simon at the Greek. He was off his mark. Barely said two words to the audience (a small, intimate venue in comparison to stadium shows he often does). I'd never seen him live, and although I've drifted away from his music over the past 20 years, I was looking forward to it. Too bad.

Next up: taking my son and brother to the Bowl for the Who on November 4th. Both are big fans. My son turned 14, and my brother turned 55. That probably says it all.

I feel the need for an opera. Got tix for LA OPERA's performance of Porgy and Bess for next spring.

• PRO
    Susan Serra
    17 years ago

Great shows! We were blown away by a recent concert at Jazz at Lincoln Center with Wynton Marsalis and his orchestra. It was music from the hot five/hot sevens of Louis Armstrong way back. Wynton Marsalis and most of his orchestra have been playing together for many years. His right hand man, the clarinetist, was his childhood friend in NOLA. They have fun when they play, they yell out, they kid one another, they just have fun. They also played St. James Infirmary, one of my favorites, so what a treat. Wynton introduced Spike Lee, he was in the audience and everyone clapped in recognition of his Katrina/HBO movie (although I don't believe the government purposely blew up the levvies, that's a bit much). But, anyway, we left in absolute awe and total delight at having a perfect NY evening, strolling back to our Manhattan pied a terre (and our son actually left to give it to us for the night, how nice!) We have a subscription, and this was the first concert of the season. It was fantastic. We see WM in concert whenever we can.

• PRO
    Susan Serra
    17 years ago

I have heard of Cowboy Mouth every time I go to NOLA (6 times since 1995) but have not heard him yet. Maybe next year if we go to the jazzfest.

• carla17
    17 years ago

I used to listen to Emmylou. John Prine came to a bar close to here and I think Emmylou did too. Might have seen them both, long time ago.

Carla

• orchids2000
    17 years ago

Susan you really should see a Cowboy Mouth show. And you just missed seeing them in NY by about a week. Fred is the dummer and the energy of the band well worth it. I have seen them a number of times since they tour through our town occaisionally.

I also have to agree that if Wynton plays your town or near it go and catch it. Worth every penny. I've seen his brother and father play as well during a Jazz Fest weekend. It was held later in the evening at one of the clubs. As a kid I got to see Dizzy Gillespie and Tito Puente. Both phenomenal.

• kathwhit
    17 years ago

The last band I heard was "Little Big Town" a country band with 2 men and 2 women singers. Wonderful harmonies and cute songs. My daughter and hubby are big country fans and paid my way. I'm not a country fan, but really enjoyed the show. This summer I saw Kenny Loggins, and he was in fine form. Also this summer, "String Cheese Incident" with my other daughter. Now THAT was a trip! I was reminded both how old I am and how much fun it is to cut loose! Seeing performers live is so much fun.

Susan, I took my DS to see Wynton Marsalis, and we had such a great time. He is coming back with a smaller ensemble next month.

Debra, I am supremely jealous of your seats for CSN&Y. I just spent the last week watching the Neil Young concert/movie on DVD. I played it over and over again on my computer.

Of course, I am still doing sound for my buddies "Windy Ridge" and they did 8 performances this summer, so I participated in lots of concerts. Now they are learning new material, and we are writing songs. Music is a big part of my life.

Kathy

• athenainwi
    17 years ago

Well, the last band I saw I liked so much I took them home with me! My husband and I went to see Elf Power a few weeks ago, and my husband runs a website/blog about a group of small indie bands including Elf Power so he knew a few of them by email and had interviewed the lead singer just a few weeks before the show. Well, after the show one of the guys asks him if they could spend the night at our house since they didn't have anywhere to stay. I was so nervous the whole time because they are one of my absolute favorite bands and I was worried about not saying the right thing. But it all turned out wonderfully and they were all so nice and polite and seemed very happy with our large basement and didn't mind that we only had the one bathroom. Now whenevery I listen to their albums I think of them sitting on my couch watching dvds with us.

My husband would be very jealous of the CSN&Y tickets. We almost went to see them a few years ago but ended up not being able to afford it at the time. We did see Simon and Garfunkel when they reunited a few years back and it was a wonderful show, especially since we both thought that we would never be able to see them together. I did take my mom to see Wynton Marsalis two years ago and it was great. His whole band is so talented and I just love his playing. My husband and I go to the local Madison opera every year and that is coming up at the end of November which I think is the next big event we are doing, well, after the silent movie at the beginning of November. It's becoming a tradition for my husband and I to take my parents to all the silent films in Madison, and they get great organists to come at play for the films which is really fun.

• debrazone9socal
    17 years ago

If you like John Prine and Emmylou, do you also enjoy John Hiatt and Ry Cooder? I've been huge fans of theirs for years, and have seen both in concert, including when they had a band together, Little Village. John Hiatt is one of my absolute favorite singer-songwriters. He's been covered by everyone, and his songs are everywhere, but you probably wouldn't know it.

Susan, do you remember that DVD I left for you, from Max's bar mitzvah? The very first song on it (or part of the song) is John Hiatt's Rest of the Dream. The song plays as we scroll through the beginning of Max's story. It is one of my favorite songs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rest Of The Dream

• kathwhit
    17 years ago

Debra,
    I love John Hiatt. Right now I am learning one of his songs "Window on the World". Such a gifted songwriter.
    Kathy

• catkim
    17 years ago

I really like John Hiatt also. My group is working on "Crossing Muddy Waters". Kathy, wouldn't it be fun to get together and play some music? Nothing better than fiddle and mandolin together, hey?

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

I used to go to concerts a lot. Now, I just can't justify the cost. My friend paid $1000 per ticket to see the Rolling Stones in NY. Other friends do Bruce Springsteen every time he tours. They pay $150 to sit in a football stadium where they are so far from the action that they have to watch on a screen. So, I go to sleazey bars and listen to local blues bands.

Just not like the good old days when I saw Frank Zappa for $7 and got wet when he spit on the audience.

• debrazone9socal
    17 years ago

Harry!!! I was at those concerts!

• youngquinn_gw
    17 years ago

Harry I once had centre fron row seats for a Frank Zappa concert in Melbourne I know what you mean!

• labrea_gw
    17 years ago

Oh my Frank Zappa at The Fillmore East Screaming begging to hear the Ballad of Suzy Cream Cheese....haha. Havent been to a concert in Years. Last thing I wanted to see but would'nt pay the price Was Rufus wainright in Carnagie Hall

• joan_ontheprairie
    17 years ago

Ballad of Suzy Creamcheese! Making me laugh...haven't thought of that in years.
    Took kids to see Blue Man Group in Indy a month ago. OMG. Both kids said it was the best concert they had ever been to. So incredible. Tracy Bonham is a great vocalist.
    I have to add that I adore John Hiatt. Used to see him here 30 years ago when he was really singing the blues in tiny clubs(mostly the Hummingbird) and he was amazing even then. Saw him last year here in Indy in concert with Shawn Colvin. The man is one of the best. Shawn Colvin can really sing too but Hiatt is a Master (of Disaster, lol.)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I almost went to see John Hyatt a couple of weeks ago but zoned on the date and missed him. Richie Havens plays at the local college at least once a year, I'm going to have to get over to see him next time.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

"Whats a nice go like you, doin in a place like this?"

And so on...

• labrea_gw
    17 years ago

Boy am I dumb I work for Blue Man Group The theater piece not the concert tour and so I saw that concert fun duh!!

• joan_ontheprairie
    17 years ago

Oh Joe, you are not dumb. I would LOVE to see the theater show also. Tell me about it, please!

• labrea_gw
    17 years ago

Blueman Group has been performing continuously for 14 years at the Astor Place Theater I've owrked for them for 13 of those years and watched the company grow and grow. Part Rock concert (there is a sperate Concert Tour different from the theater piece)part vaudville show art commentary a lot of whimsy and audienece participation. 11 to 13 shows a week thats 4 to 6 more shows than most stage performances.
    I've included a link to some of their videos the sitemap also has videos from the concert that you saw and hopefully Exhibit 13 the tribute video they did for 911 ( one of my favorite things ever)

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueman

• labrea_gw
    17 years ago

Tears flowing gets me every time!

Here is a link that might be useful: Exhibit 13

• joan_ontheprairie
    17 years ago

Oh my, yes, they showed this Tribute video (Exhibit 13)at the Rock Show in Indianapolis. Blew my minds. Tears, yes.
    Tell me more about the work you do with the theater show, Joe.
    Blue Man Group. So Amazing.

• labrea_gw
    17 years ago

I'm The Theaters Assistant Treasurer adding machines talley sheets ticket sales breaking it all down into endless reports to endless numbers of people, beats what I used to do all that and groups sales and manage the phone sales stafff.....HEEEEEELP! Funny used to be about 40 to 50 of us did everything now it's hundreds of people and their assistants.

• joan_ontheprairie
    17 years ago

That is so wonderful, Joe. You have really witnessed the Blue Man Group explosion first hand.
    I have been wanting to see them for years and this fall was the first time.
    Someday I will see the stage show...and whatever else they come up with!

• carla17
    17 years ago

Hey Harry, when Nay and I were at Mother's Biker Bar there was a good band that night. I'm with you, sleazy bars and bands. LOL

Carla

• anntn6b
    17 years ago

Saturday night, Johnny Rivers playing up in Indiana. (Dating myself, big time.) He sounded as good as he did more than two decades ago. Maybe there's something to not abusing voice or body, and his hands still rule his guitars.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"Summer Rain". Dang, what a great song! And "Secret Agent Man"!

• PRO
    Susan Serra
    17 years ago

Just got back from seeing "Jersey Boys" on Broadway. What a great show. Those guys were amazing, and boy could they sing, they brought the house down! We had the understudy of the understudy for Frankie Valli's part and he was fantastic, I can't imagine anyone being better than he was. This was my birthday present from July, a gift from DH, so that was fun. Before that, dinner at an outdoor Italian cafe (evening in the high 60s, a beautiful night) sitting outside and watching the city trick and treaters, and then to the show. All the wait staff in the restaurant were dressed in costumes, one in whites and fake blood and a horrible face who said he had an accident in the kitchen when he served us our salads, that was cute. I recommend the show highly! Oh what a night! (couldn't resist)