Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fried chicken

Posted by carla17 Z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 30, 06 at 12:40

All my life I've always had chicken fried in cast iron skillets and that is how I've always cooked mine. Never thought mine was that good.
I borrowed a large heavy pot which could be called a dutch oven from my mother. I used ground red pepper in my flour and some Texas Pete in my egg wash. I used peanut oil and got the temp. up to what the recipe said. That fried chicken was great! After removing it from the oil, I put some fresh ground pepper on it. It was perfectly brown and I think frying in the black skillet lets it absorb more grease than this deep fry method. I am going to be on the lookout for some fryer than I can use outside because I don't have a vented cook top and I can't tolerate the smell in the house. I don't see why I couldn't use a turkey fryer with less oil.
We never talk about much on here anymore so I thought I would share my chicken story.

Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fried chicken

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 30, 06 at 17:48

Yummmm, Carla, sounds great. That seems very much like the fried chicken I watched being cooked on Paula's Home Cooking a while back, but I haven't tried it yet.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I fried a chicken - I generally roast them whole with a half lemon and some garlic pushed inside on one of those vertical roaster frame thingys. So good, so easy, and one of these days I'm even going to remember to take one rack out of my oven BEFORE I preheat so the chicken isn't rubbing it's neck end on my oven top.

I've got an old fashioned range hood with vented fan that does a so-so job, but I could be less sensitive to cooking smells in my house than you. You'd have hated being here two weekends ago when I canned 4 cases of tuna with the windows open and fan to my heat pump running on manual...my neighbor was painting her front steps and told me she could smell it :)

o
RE: Fried chicken

Dutch ovens are great for frying chicken as is peanut oil--fresh ground pepper meets one of its best uses on top of fried chicken too.

Glad you had a success story there.

MichaelAT

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here