Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thanksgiving Cooking

Posted by olga_6b (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 9:24

Remember we used to do it in the past and it was a lot of fun.
What do you plan to cook for Thanksgiving this year? Let's share our favorite simple recipes.
Somebody posted a cranberry souce recipe here several years ago, I liked it a lot and do it now every year, it is so simple and refreshing. Many thanks to the person who posted it.
One bag of cranberries
One whole orange with peel cut in quarters
2/3 cup or less sugar (depends on your taste)
1 cup of wallnut pieces.

Put sugar and orange in food processer and make a coarse mix, add cranberries and pulse couple more times. Add wallnuts. You can serve it right away, but it is much better if you put souce into fridge o/n.

No cooking, very fresh and kids love it.

Olga

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thanksgiving Cooking

Olga----I also made the cranberry relish---it was delicious and refreshing.
Florence

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 24, 08 at 11:46

I'm doing appetizers and desserts this year again. Salmon spread and crackers, pico de gallo and chips. Pies: two pumpkin, one blackberry, one pecan (new request from my nephews wife and I'm going to use Dear Abbeys recipe that I haven't made for years) and my nephews fav apple cream.

Apple Cream Pie

1/2 C sugar
3 T flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp each nutmeg and salt

Stir these first 5 ingred together in a bowl.

Drizzle 3 to 3 1/2 #s tart apples like Granny Smith (peeled, cored, and cut into 3/4" wedges) with 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice. Toss the apples with the sugar/flour mix.

Prepare a 9"/10" pie pan with your favorite crust recipe, leaving 1" overhang at edge. Mound the apples into the unbaked crust, finish with a lattice or cutout top and fold the overhang back up over edges. If it looks a little rustic, that's fine.

Bake 15 min 425F. Reduce heat to 375F and bake 45-50 min more. Now the cream part -

Pour 1/2 C heavy whipping cream into the openings you so conveniently left in the crust lattice top :) Bake 10 or so more minutes until cream is bubbling and crust is golden.

o

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO that apple cream pie sounds wonderful--
- Just thought I would share what I do with the two turkeys--My kids both like leftovers.
Wed-----
cook first turkey----
make the gravy which is much easier than trying to make it on Thurs. with all the folks coming in---

Then Bob helps me divide the turkey --of course stuffing ourselves in the process---LOL

That turkey is then wrapped for the kids to take home.

Then on Thurs. we cook the second turkey to be enjoyed for dinner
with a lot less hassle.

I use the turkey bags which help a lot---

Just thought I would share this little tip which has worked out very well for us.

On Tues and Wed I also make the other extras and side dishes-

Beryl,(DIL ) Robyn,(DD) Amy (niece) and Virginia (neighbor)are making all the rest----

which is a big help---
Phew----I'm tired all ready-----LOL

Have a great day everyone and enjoy your family-

Florence

o

Florence, I can tell you Maureen's pie is good, I've made it.
The cranberry relish is so delicious and refreshing.
I'm doing a new bacon with brussel sprouts, spanish onion, and garlic. Might try a new recipe for frozen fruit salad from Linda.
I hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving.
Thank you for starting this Olga.

Carla

o

JUst finished washing my hair---We have everything done that we planned for today.
These things are ready
Mince Pie
Lime Jello Mold

Layered salad

Stuffing is ready and one turkey all cooked and divided for kids to take home

lots of good gravy

tomorrow we just have to cook the second turkey and wait for the rest of the food to arrive.

Hope to have a relaxing day.

Robyn is suffering with a Migraine but Eric will be driving and she has her pie finished.

My son Bobby says this is his favorite Holiday---lots of good food and relaxing time with the family.
After today he gets into the rush of selling Christmas Trees at his nursery.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Love to all,-Florence

o

I like the fresh cranberry relish also. My mom's variation included candied ginger and slivered almonds instead of walnuts.

Most members of my family cooked a dish for Thanksgiving. My husband made a crusty French bread, daughter made pecan pie, my son the chef did a variation of our usual sweet potato casserole. We were all a little tired of that though it's good..the one with a praline sort of topping. My son changed it with some ingredients I didn't think would work..he put pumpkin pie spices in the topping but also some chocolate chips, oats, and cayenne pepper! It worked!

I'm going to make some gumbo with the turkey carcasse tomorrow. I like it with sausage, turkey, shrimp and some okra.
Linda

o

Just made tomato and rice soup with turkey carcasse. Everybody liked it, me too:)
Olga

o

This is the second year my family has demanded Rachael Ray's recipe for "Turkey Stoup" as a way to use the turkey leftovers. ("Stoup" because it is a cross between soup and stew.) I whipped it up on Saturday; it is quick and yummy - and very filling with cheese ravioli in it. The recipe claims to serve 4, but after I set aside a 'carryout' bowl-full for my absent DIL (she had to work the weekend) the five of us enjoyed a hearty meal so I'd say plan on servings for about 6. Good stuff!

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey Stoup recipe

o

We need to modify our Christmas dinner, and try to start new traditions. Too many of us must lose weight, and the traditional dinner with left overs just won't work.

Olga, you grind up the peel with the oranges? Also do you cook the cranberries first? I have never made cranberry sauce or salad, I just open the jar. I wanted to try it this year and your recipe sounds good.

Sammy

o
I am talking about my family

I just re-read my post, and realized that it sounded like I was preaching to everyone. It is my family. My husband and I especially need to watch our weight, and my daughter has recently been given some medications that caused her to have problems with her weight. That is why I am looking for new traditions. Too many of us refers to too many in my family, not all of you.

Sometimes even if I read over what I have written, I see it in my present perspective, and do not realize how others could see it.

By the way, I would like to find some interesting ways to prepare sweet potatoes too.

Sammy

o

Sammy, no cooking involved. Just fresh cranberries and unpeeled orange.
Olga

o

Sammy, No offense taken though I need to lose weight. The holiday eating has felt compulsive to me this year..I just felt like I had to cook all that stuff for Thanksgiving, and then I had to have lots of festive food for Christmas, and since I was going to do all that eating anyway I didn't see much point in watching it in between holidays. So truly..for me the traditional eating and cooking puts on the pounds.

Seems like on the years when I don't cook traditional food I do better on not overeating. Last Christmas I cooked jambalaya, one year I cooked a Chinese thanksgiving, and today I'm just making chicken and dumplings. Sometimes I feel railroaded by tradition and it just helps me feel in control of my eating to do it more my way.
Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here