Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Does anyone have a Bowflex?

msrose
17 years ago

I'm thinking about giving up my gym membership and buying a home gym. Just wondering if the Bowflex is a good investment. Also, I can't tell by looking at the website if any of the exercises work your inner and outer thighs. I know it works your quads and hamstrings, but I want to work all the areas.

Laurie

Comments (13)

• beerhog
    17 years ago

Take the time that you used at the gym and garden some more. Can not say that it would be cheaper in the long run, but you would be toned, tan, work muscles the gym has not discovered yet and have a nice garden.
    Beerhog

• msrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Beerhog,

but what would I do in the winter? :)

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

I had a 'generic' version, and you can do moves that work inner/outer thighs in limited ways... the inner/outer thighs are hard to target compared to hams/quads with that kind of machine.

The one Christie Brinkley hawks is better [I forget the name but that's my most verstile machine]. The BEST machine for legs, though, IMHO, is an ancient Body By Jake machine I have... just so targeted for those muscles [like the Nautilus machines at the gym].

Ballet with ankle weights is the best to hit the most muscles [particularly the outer-thigh-buttocks spots, which are hard to target with a machine]. But I have weak tendons in ankles/knees and can't lift the poundage I like safely enough so I do more weight on the BBJ.

Hey, I've got a really bad upper back but my legs are rockin' ;]

• msrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Meredith,

I already have a Total Gym (I think that's what you were referring to) and surprise, surprise, I don't ever use it.
    I think because alot of the exercises involve laying down, I get just a little to comfortable in the position and don't work out as hard as I could. I never thought of doing ballet movements with weights. That's a good idea.

I really like going to the gym, but once I start working full-time, I have a feeling I'll stop going, so I'm just looking for something to do at home so I have no excuses :)

Laurie

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

Hi Laurie. My husband bought one about 6 months ago. He will be paying it off in installments into the next century:-)

Major problem.... putting it together. My bil is awesome at putting anything together. It took him probably about 10 solid hours. It would have taken the average person probably 2x longer than that.

My husband used it maybe 10 times. It's just sitting in the garage. We just bought him a 1 yr membership to Bally Total fitness for 199.00

And think about this, I know several people who have them or have had them over the years. 99% of them don't ever use them. Big waste of money.

Maybe if you can get motivated to work out while you are at home -- I can't. I need to gym to get psyched.

Good luck,
    Maureen

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

I think you should forget gyms and exercise machines and just let yourself go. Being fat, gray and stupid works for me. Not only is Beerhog right, he/she also has a cool name.

• msrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If I was a betting woman, I would guess Beehog is a man :)

Laurie

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Got one for DH a few years ago and it's just sitting here collecting dust, taking up space, and grating on my nerves every time I glance it's way.

Maybe if I started throwing away one part at a time, I could make it disappear without him noticing. :-)

Cheers,
    Michelle

• iowa_jade
    17 years ago

I had a friend buy one and he hurt his back putting it together.
    He just made his first payment on Saturday. He is bound and determined to get his money's worth out of it. So far so good.
    I just think of all the beer nuts one could buy instead.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    17 years ago

If you must have one, don't buy a new one. You can get a used one for just about nothing--just start checking classified ads.

• popola
    15 years ago

Looks like you are into fittness and online shopping... dont know if you already bought the Bowflex... but if you didnt you can get 3.5% cash back from you shopping at bowflex.com and from hundreds of other stores. Check it out... you will like it! and is free to join. Just copy/paste:
    www.joinbigcrumbs.com

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

You are correct about Beerhog. He is a man, and one of the nicest ones I have ever met.
    Sammy

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

My husband has a generic one and it does nothing but take up a lot of space. No way to get rid of it without conceding defeat of good intentions. He does use our exercise bike at times. Something I should do.
    Linda

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES