Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenzen_gw

Computer Antivirus Software

kenzen
17 years ago

Hi all;

Since we rose growers are often detail oriented and knowledgable about many topics, I would like your input.

What are the best computer antivirus programs. I use the web, forums, and e-mail alot. I've gotten some viruses that my initial antivirus software missed. (The viruses came from e-mail I believe). What are your opinions?

KenZen

Comments (8)

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    17 years ago

I like AVG pro best. They have a free version that isn't nearly as good, but not awful for free, lol.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

Here is a link to a comparison chart of various products that is nice. This security site also has great reviews to consider.

I'd previously have added Panda to their list, although it can make startup very slow. The firewall in their paid versions is really tight [and pops up a lot but believe me that's a good thing in the end]. Their free version[s] weren't bad either, BUT they aren't fairing so well in tests anymore... so I'd go with AVG myself.

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Castle Cops Security site - chart

• roseleaf
    17 years ago

Ive used McAfee since summer after upgraded to a new labtop. DonÂt know if itÂs the best but so far itÂs been smooth sailing. Have not problem with virus so far. Hardly see any pop-ups. I used to have Norton, which performed well to detect virus, but not so good to block pop-ups.

• sam0738
    17 years ago

McAfee gets my vote. I have it on this latest computer virus free. It seems to be all encompassing security.
    BTW I didn't have good luck with Norton. A virus got me. I have heard AVG is used by the experts.
    Well ,, thats my 2 cents.
    Sam

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

I have the Norton System Works product. Once I got it, I was convinced that it didn't work because a virus or worm had stopped my computer dead. Wrong. It is quite thorough.

The problem is that it takes at least 15 minutes for it to do its thing each time I start up. During that time, my computer is so slow that it is useless. Should I attempt to open other programs shortly after startup, the dead period is greatly extended.

I used Task Manager to identify the programs which were consuming my system. When I searched Google, I found they were part of the Norton product and that others others are complaining about these startup problems.

It seems that some of the newer protections are better suited to high-powered processors.

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

We use Norton here - different versions - depending on who's computer it is on. Some get the full package with firewall, while others get the AV with the zone alarm free firewall.

Most computer mags / sites like AGV free, but from experience, if you're not a computer person, you may want to purchase something different. I installed it on 2 friends computers, each one ended up getting severely infected due to their lack of knowledge. Once I put the full version of Norton, everything was good.

I tried Mcafee about a year ago on my daughters computer - which had a gig of memory, and was a decent computer (spec wise). The computer would freeze a lot. I ended up uninstalling and losing all of that money.

If I was you, I would go to each AV site and download their free trials to see which one runs best on your computer, and to see which one is easiest for you to use.

• tandaina
    17 years ago

Norton is a system pig and their subscription rates are, well I wouldn't pay them.

When I use any virus protection at all (rarely) I use Avast. The personal addition is free. You will get a license good for one year. When it expires go back to their website and get a new license. No subscription costs. And its a good reliable product.

However. I work with computers ALL DAY. This is my job, and its what I do for fun when I get home. I run NO virus protection at home (other than an occasional check scan). I have had a grand total of 2 virii infections in the 11 years I've had/used a personal computer. TWO. And the first of those came from an infected MS DOS install disk (way to go MS!)

Avoiding virii is NOT hard folks. Don't use MS Outlook OR Internet Explorer for ANYTHING. Period. Don't open email attachments unless you have specifically requested the said attachment. Don't follow links from random forwarded email ("click on this to see a cute kitten!" yeah right.) Don't download screen savers/etc advertised in flashing images on websites. And for the love of little green apples run FIREFOX with adblock and java script stopping enabled. There getting off my soap box.

So. Avast if you must but know that a constantly running virus protection package is NOT strictly required. You can avoid 99.9% of virii by simply using some common sense.

Remember ALL virus protection is out of date. By the time these security companies discover a virus in the wild and update their databases to protect you against its already been running loose for hours, days, maybe even weeks. NO amount of virus protection is 100% effective, you MUST protect yourself as well. (You wouldn't wander around alone in downtown Detroit at 2AM just because you had a bottle of mace in your purse, right? Same idea.)

• theroselvr
    17 years ago

Norton is a system pig and their subscription rates are, well I wouldn't pay them.

I buy mine on sale - usually under $30 for 3 computers. As for bloat, well I don't have those problems, never did.

Everyone has their opinion on which AV works for them. I try to respect everyone's decision or view on what and why they use it. If someone's happy, who am I to say otherwise?

See the link below. I started the list in 2005 & try to keep it updated. I use AntiVir Personal Edition on my laptop since it's only me using it.

• Haftupdate
    9 years ago

Eset is the best to my mind... this antivirus does not reduce your computer speed. and this antivirus update easier than the others.
    click on the link to go to one of the websites with daily Eset product updates.