Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding good sites

Posted by sammy OK/7A (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 07 at 16:15

Somewhere I have a posts that tells how to navigate health forums without reaching sites that are funded by drug companies or other companies that directlly profit by the advice they give.

I have questions about osteoporosis or osteopenia plus some about conditions that I want to avoid. Wherever I seem to go on the browser anymore, I find out only what drugs to take.

There is a way to state what you want, and to put in something that will filter out drug makers. Do any of you happen to know how to do that?

Thanks,
Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding good sites

Sorry I can't answer your specific question, but I don't think the Mayo Clinic website's advice is slanted by drug companies. (It does show drug ads on the right side of the page, though.)

I'll put a link to their info. page on osteoporosis:

Here is a link that might be useful: osteoporosis

o

Thanks for the link. I have that and many others, plus I have their book. My problem is that everything said is relying on the pharmaceutical companies and their drugs. I would like to find information that does not seem to be sponsored or paid for by the drug companies.

The test they use to see if the medication is working is to ask if you have had any fractures. If you have not, then the medication is working.

Also the percentage of people who have osteoporosis by the time they are 70 is very high. I wonder if scientifically it is a disease with the percentage that high. (Remember how we use to talk about dyslexia being a disease until it occurred to experts that left handed people had it?) Now it is a reading disorder, and not dyslexia.

I wonder how much advice given for this and other conditions is given as a disclaimer, and not really good advice. It seems to me that every forum and every major hospital is sponsored by drug companies.

I think there is a way to get around sponsors, but I cannot remember how to do it. I tried adding "no ads" in the browser, but that didn't work.

Sammy

o

Sammy, I always look at these sites on medical conditions. I do not think they have anything to do with drug companies - I could be wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia sites - Osteoporosis

o

Saqmmy:
Try this site.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: medlineplus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here