Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Microsoft 7

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
17 years ago

Have you downloaded this yet? I did. It took me about 3 hours from start to finish because I didn't understand many of the security options. More than likely I chose too many, so later my grade program stopped, and I spent another 2 hours getting rid of it.

The program does not ask what security you have, and I thought since it was Microsoft, they could read it automatically. Therefore I added security without disabling what I had. Our internet provider sent me to the Router tech who said I probably had too many firewalls running at once, so nothing was working. It worked fine for a few hours, then began to stall, and I lost the internet connection.

He had me restore the computer, and all is well.

I just thought I would warn all of you.

Sammy

Comments (7)

• michaelalreadytaken
    17 years ago

Sorry for your bad experience!

I've read glowing reviews of it by reviewers I trust but still won't be installing it based on my past experience(s) plus ones like you're recounting now.

Microsoft always ends up being "drama" at some point or another and this "computer/internet" experience is supposed to make my life better, not worse, so no upgrade.

Never thought I'd say that, it's my nature to be out front on things like this... but enough, ya know??? :):):)

MichaelAT

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Sammy, I installed it last week when I read it would be an automatic download probably next Tuesday...wanted to chose my own timing. Working fine with Norton AV, CCleaner, Microsoft Defender for my XP SP2.

The only immediate problems were struggling with ClearType for a bit, and having to reset my security at my bank (in person) for three accounts...they no longer recognized my computer.

Now I'm finding a warning from QuickBooks each time I go there that I should go back to IE6, IE7 not being compatible with my accounting program. But in between changing browsers and being told I should not, I did invoicing, payroll, and can't find any errors or differences. So holding on for now...

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Had I not been busy, I would have backed away from it when I was given the options, researched the options when I had time, then gone back to it. I thought the spy blocks offered would be compatible with what I had.

The tech said that more than likely I had too many firewalls, and that made everything shut down. I actually lost the connection with my son's computer where the router and modem are. That meant that it must have been this program.

I did not know I would have to choose a browser, and I don't really understand the difference between Window, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft. I don't understand what properties each of these items bring with them, and how they work with our Cox Cable. I don't need to understand these things, so I worry more about being able to attach a document from Word, and send it to someone in my school. I think about typing something on the correct Xcel and sending teh attachment so that it can be merged with all the other documents that the receiver gets.

This program asked me too many questions. It asked too much about security, and I probably had an arsenal around my computer that nothing could touch. LOL.

I wish they would make it user friendly to those of us who would much prefer to download or upload a picture of a rose than worry about things I don't understand. Knowing I need security is only the tip of the iceberg. I am going to have to wait until this program is modified somewhat.

Sammy

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

IE 7? I downloaded the beta version on my home computer months ago. I like it, but it is different enough to take some time to look through all of the controls.

Sammy, Microsoft is the company that produces operating systems and tools (as well as game systems) for use on computers. Other than their game systems, Microsoft does not manufacture computers of their own (unlike Apple). An "operating system" is the software that runs the computer, no operating system, no running computer. There are many different operating systems, some are used for PCs some are used for large-scale servers. Windows is an operating system that is produced by Microsoft and Windows runs on many different makes and models of computer (Apple uses its own operating system on their computers). "Vista" is the next version of the Windows operating system, XP is the promary current version (you will see a banner with the version when you turn on the computer and it is booting up). Internet Explorer is a tool that runs on Windows that provides browsing capabilities. You can use IE to browse files inside of your computer or to access remote files, which is what you do when you "browse" the internet. Microsoft, unfortunately, likes to cram a lot of stuff into their upgrades, without really explaining how they work and how to configure. Sorry, sometimes I get all geeky. ;-)

I do wish they would just take your current settings and incorporate them into the new version of IE when it is installed. Things are tricky enough with differences in internet providers (Cox Cable in your case), PC capacities, user preferences and home networking options (a few years ago this one didn't exist) to make things more difficult.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It could have been Internet Explorer 7, but I think it was Microsoft because I was asked to select a browser. I thought IE was my browser.

I won't continue now, because as you can tell I am very confused. Whatever it was, signaled me by putting a yellow icon on the bottom line beside my printer icon.

I am going to reread your post later. Thanks.

• jody
    17 years ago

We've been instructed to NOT to download it because it is known to be incompatible with certain programs we must use - that's at work.

We did it at home on one computer the first day it was available. I noticed last night that SO was uninstalling it - it had argued with one too many things and he was frustrated. My usual take on any new major Microsoft software is to wait a bit - let them get the first bug fixes and service packs out of the way first.

• tandaina
    17 years ago

Why? I literally haven't used ANY version of IE in months, probably close to a hear. The one or two sites I hit randomly that don't support Firefox aren't worth messing with IE to see.

*shrug*