Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Niece has raised a deer

Posted by katerosie 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 14, 06 at 18:17

This is Emily. She was found by my niece's husband on their farm in N VA on their farm abandoned by her mother. My niece raised her first by feeding her formula with a dropper and progressed to a bottle. Emily now is an outside pet and hangs out with other deer on the property. She comes to my niece's house once a day for her bottle. We call her the baba girl (I don't know how to spell that) She is a wonderful gift and a wonderful experience to see, to behold a beautiful creature God has allowed us to befriend. Emily will come up to us and lick our faces. She is so precious. Just wanted to share.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Niece has raised a deer

Ohh, how sweet Kate. The picture is so clear and I can't wait to show my daughter. I'm glad someone actually wants a deer around, they eat roses but they can't help to like a good thing.

Carla

o

How beautiful, every little detail is beautiful. We literally live with deer in our area too - I can say that now that we have a deer fence around our back where the roses are. But they are all over and last week on my walk, on the long coast road I walked behind a buck with a big rack for some time until I caught up and we walked side by side then he lagged back and walked behind me until I knew his journey would end a little further ahead where where I knew there was a harem waiting for him....and there was.LOL! - that time of the year.
Pauline - Vancouver Island

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 15, 06 at 10:59

The kitty certainly seems comfortable with Emily standing over her, that's amazing! I'm sure I've never seen a deer and a cat on a sofa together before! Sweet story...

o

Darling little deer and kitty. Thanks for sharing!

o

That is sooooo precious! Not pleasant - but one thing that worries me is that it may pick up ticks that carry lyme disease and expose your niece. Can you throw some flea powder on it just to be safe? :)

It's adorable, what is it about baby animals that make them so cute?! I raised a baby raccoon once, it was just like a pet monkey.

o

Kate, I thought I'd posted! Ok, truly about the sweetest thing I've EVER seen with that kitty! Thank you, oh my goodness.

Lynnis, I rescued a baby raccoon, too, whose mom had been hit by a car. She saw me checking the garden late the next day and cried for me immediately. After shots and dewormer from an underground vet [it's illegal here to not turn them over for destruction - rabies law] she even rode around on my dog's back, lol :) I miss that terrifying shrieking of her wanting a bottle!

o

I have always wanted to raise a baby deer! they are so beautiful! I suppose it would be the death of my garden... I have raised several squirrels and baby birds for release - nothing like feeling that wild creature snuggled up to you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here